We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

How to get rid of bindweed?

Options

Comments

• WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    IF you don't mind using chemicals this is one area where it is worth it - get some Glyphosate (Roundup is the expensive brand version) and hose it while there are leaves on it. Leave it a fortnight to die back (the chemicals don't affect anything through the soil) and then sow your grass. Once the grass is growing, you can get a paint on version which you can use for any odd bits that poke through without hurting your new grass. Provided it isn't coming in from next door (a problem we had in our old house) this is pretty effective at getting rid of it. Once the lawn is established regular mowing and weed/feed treatments will also help weaken the bindweed.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    WestonDave wrote: »
    IF you don't mind using chemicals this is one area where it is worth it - get some Glyphosate (Roundup is the expensive brand version) and hose it while there are leaves on it

You do not hose it you spray it carefully or paint it. Glyphosate can cause eye and skin irritation if not handled properly.

Also you should crush some of the leaves as this increases the take up off glyphosate.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What do you do if you have it coming through from next door and next door is an oldish lady who doesn't do anything in her garden apart from mow the lawn? I can't see her doing her bit at her end.
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • grannybroon
    grannybroon Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have had bindweed coming in from neighbour. I tend to use the paint on stuff,.

GB
  • Lord_Gardener
    Lord_Gardener Posts: 2,971 Forumite
    Options
    I have cleared our garden to put grass in but we have a huge amount of bindweed growing, I have taken LOADS out but it just keeps sprouting up everywhere.
    I have read that bindweed cannot grow in grass which is great and an ideal solution would be to turf over the top and suffocate the little nasties but seed is much cheaper for me.
    The only problem I can see is if i take out as much bindweed as i can then seed the area, the bindweed will grow as quickly as the seed and may still sprout through.

Any advice?

Remove as much as possible then sow your seed. Once established, feed and weed your lawn on a regular basis. Regular cutting will weaken the bindweed and the 'feed and weed' should finish it off - I've done this many times! Use Glyphosate to tackle bindweed in your borders - encourage to grow up canes for easier application! Good luck, it will take time!!
    I'm mad!!!! :rotfl::jand celebrating everyday every year!!!
  • Boudica
    Boudica Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    I've found the best way to kill bindweed is to break off the stem until it is about 3 inches from the soil, then I spray with triple concentrated Roundup. I've had a problem with this stuff for 5 years on my allotment and it drives me nuts sometimes.

After you've planted the grass seed do as the others have suggested and feed and weed. If you see the beginnings of a leaf tug it out straight away.

With the bad weather my bindweed has had a blinding time as been unable to spray or dig.....oh the joys of gardening :)
    Lightbulb moment 2/1/07
    First Direct £2500 loan
    John Lewis £200 (card not used since July 2005)
    HFC £350
    Co-Op £5000 (car loan - disabled so needed new wheels as previous car is now scrapped)
    Total debt £8050

DFW by 2010
  • lynseydee
    Options
    We have bindweed coming up in our garden. A few weeks ago I sprayed some weedkiller and then lay black bin bags on top until I could get out and sort it out properly. The trouble is there are some gaps where the bin bags have shifted in the weather and the bindweed has found its way through. I was going to go and buy some glyphosate today to paint on as it is also coming up where I have some plants planted but my husband has suggested we go and get one of those fire guns to get rid of it. Would this be the better option or should I just get some glyphosate and get painting?
    Did owe £9,951.96

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,225 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The painting is best, it will get down the roots which will kill it eventually

Fire guns whilst fun to use only kill the green top growth, so the roots will just send up more shoots

Fire guns are OK for blasting seedlings for instance, but no use for established weeds
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Lord_Gardener
    Lord_Gardener Posts: 2,971 Forumite
    Options
    If you've planted then glyphosate is the best option. Try to encourage new growth up canes and gently crush leaves to aid absorption of weed killer.
    I'm mad!!!! :rotfl::jand celebrating everyday every year!!!
  • lynseydee
    Options
    Thanks to both of you. I actually bought some deep root weedkiller as recommended by Peter Seabrook in the other weeks paper. Will try and put some of that on later when it cools down a bit.
    Did owe £9,951.96

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure