PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Halal beef very cheap, should I be worried?

Options
I found a shop in Portsmouth selling halal beef fillet for about 8 pound/kg. A bought 300g for 2 pound. I didn't try it yet, but I wonder, how can it be so cheap? Should I be worried by where it comes from?

Comments

• Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't touch beef fillet at that price.
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    No good asking here - ask the butcher.
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My local Halal butcher sources his meat from North Wales (we're in West London).
    He drives up there, buys the animals and slaughters them himself (he is licensed ) and brings them back to London.
    So the best thing to do is to ask the butcher. A good butcher will be happy to tell you where the meat comes from.
    This presumes you're happy with the Halal method of slaughter.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • nig3d
    nig3d Posts: 198 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes, thank you very much for your suggestions. I meant to ask him, but honestly after the first bite, I ended up throwing it in the bin. It was looking like a good fillet, but the consistence (basically rubber and I like it very rare) and taste was horrible.
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘I wanna’ board to the ‘Old Style’ board, where it should get more responses.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    nig3d wrote: »
    yes, thank you very much for your suggestions. I meant to ask him, but honestly after the first bite, I ended up throwing it in the bin. It was looking like a good fillet, but the consistence (basically rubber and I like it very rare) and taste was horrible.

You will find that if you buy beef from a good butcher, it is a huge difference from most of the halal ones around who have no idea what a cut of beef is! I have bought beef like that which looked great but was exactly as you described. I ended up cooking the rest in the SC and it made decent stew.
    If there is an Algerian or Moroccan butcher around, they are usually really good and take pride in their work. We have two near us, beef is similar in price to the Asian ones, but the quality just does not compare.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • aabinitio
    aabinitio Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Buying Halal is definitely unique. However since our lives has got busier and busier some butchers have started to take shortcuts and they don't necessarily provide the quality meat / beef. I particular don't like beef, so for me its just halal lamb or sheep. if all fails there is chicken. :) I have sourced Halal lamb direct from the farm, adn they have been amazing in taste.
  • zaxdog
    zaxdog Posts: 774 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is one reason I buy meat from either my work or a farm I know as I know the slaughterhouse too and they will not use a hal'al method of slaughter.

I'd rather never eat meat again than eat meat which has been slaughtered in a way I find barbaric in the extreme.

Slow cooked local brisket in the SC just now :-)
  • Anouchka
    Anouchka Posts: 151 Forumite
    Options
    We should all be worried about this form of slaughter .....
    Make £10 per day in May challenge: £310/123.92
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Anouchka wrote: »
    We should all be worried about this form of slaughter .....

Absolutely agree - cruel in the extreme.
    :hello:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family