Sms delivery reports - are they free?

Options
cj2011
cj2011 Posts: 115 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
If one has a phone with this feature, does anybody know if sms delivery reports are free to send and receive or does the recipient pay for the automated text message?

Are they free regardless of whether the recipient is in the UK or abroad?

Or does it depend on your tariff? I'm on EE and Orange (have 2 different phones at the moment) and I can't see delivery reports being listed in their price lists. Does this mean they're not chargeable? Or do they count as a text message (in which case the other person would pay even though it was me who requested the automated confirmation)?

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The delivery report is generated by your network (it's SMSC)

There is no charge (home or roaming) unless you operator specially charges for them - some Orange and 3 plans do. O2 strangely doesn't even support them.
    cj2011 wrote: »
    If one has a phone with this feature, does anybody know if sms delivery reports are free to send and receive or does the recipient pay for the automated text message?

Or does it depend on your tariff? I'm on EE and Orange (have 2 different phones at the moment) and I can't see delivery reports being listed in their price lists. Does this mean they're not chargeable? Or do they count as a text message (in which case the other person would pay even though it was me who requested the automated confirmation)?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cj2011 wrote: »

Previous thread at http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4379597

EE is free, Orange apparently charge.
    ====
  • sparky93
    sparky93 Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    The delivery report is generated by your network (it's SMSC)

There is no charge (home or roaming) unless you operator specially charges for them - some Orange and 3 plans do. O2 strangely doesn't even support them.
    o2 still dont support standard reports?
    when i was on o2 for work, starting your message *0# i think, got u a non stardard text report back.

and just checking i had remembered rightly, its even noted on o2 www.
    http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe?New,KB=Companion,question=ref%28user%29:str%28Mobile%29,CASE=12994

Important Note

The ‘delivery report’ function is not supported on our network. If you’d like to receive delivery reports, you can enter *0# followed by your text message and then send the message as you usually would.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I knew someone would pop up with that O2 rubbish :rotfl:
    It isn't a standard delivery report hence why I never mentioned it...

O2 really are a dog of a network.
    sparky93 wrote: »
    o2 still dont support standard reports?
    when i was on o2 for work, starting your message *0# i think, got u a non stardard text report back.

and just checking i had remembered rightly, its even noted on o2 www.
    http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/srvs/cgi-bin/webcgi.exe?New,KB=Companion,question=ref%28user%29:str%28Mobile%29,CASE=12994

Important Note

The ‘delivery report’ function is not supported on our network. If you’d like to receive delivery reports, you can enter *0# followed by your text message and then send the message as you usually would.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure