We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Oil spills removal

2»

Comments

  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    chris0147 wrote: »
    does the gunk have the acid in it and will they help to get rid of the rust and oil stains?

    if not how about a little bit of petrol if it would help?
    Don't think it has any acid in it. AFAIK it is just a general degreaser and cleaner, and any oil spills I have used it with have ended up cleaned to a satisfactory degree - i.e. not perfect, but good enough for a driveway unless you are married to Hyacinth Bucket.


    Coca-Cola contains phosphoric acid, which is the active ingredient in rust treatments like Kurust and Jenolite, so Coke might be able to remove a rust stain. Try it and report back :)


    If there is actual wet oil there (as opposed to a dry stain), then spreading cat litter on it and leaving for a day or two would absorb the worst.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • coolagarry
    coolagarry Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    What type of drive is it?
    I spilt some oil on a tarmac drive some years ago. Removed it with Gunk but it came back. I got in touch with some tarmac national body and they told me that oil spilled on tarmac can never be cured... it will always go 'wet' again. The only cure is to dig out the damaged tarmac and replace it with good.
    I'm Glad to be here... At my age I'm glad to be anywhere!!
    I'm not losing my hair... I'm getting more head!!
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Managed to steam clean my concrete garage floor quite effectively using a hand held steam cleaner from Aldi.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

    <><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • There are youtube videos of people cleaning it up with coke so it seems to work. I have used Gunk in the past and its great for this.
    Its never easy.
  • chris0147
    chris0147 Posts: 357 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Thanks for the help guys. I'm not sure what cleaning product I need to go with.

    Have a look at this:

    bd4qc.jpg


    Can you please let me know what I might need?
  • Go to Aldi/lidl, buy their cheap washing powder (Formil?) and scatter it over it all.
    Then get a hard brush, and with a little bit water, give it a good rub in then leave it for a while.

    Probably cost a couple of pounds max to try it.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.