MSE News: 'Just got my Amazon Prime £79 back': Find out if you can do the same

Options

Comments

• chengdeguzman1
    Options
    Thank you MSE, thank you @martinlewis. Just got partial refund for Amazon Prime membership for months (13 months) I did not use Prime. Like many here I also availed of free trial period and forgot to cancel. So disappointed with Amazon as many people get caught up in this scheme. I asked the customer service representative if Amazon can send monthly bill statements by email or post so customers will know what memberships they are being charged for. I got caught up in their free trial of Audible as well.
  • FifiJabar_786
    Options

Noticed emails from Amazon January 2020 saying I hadn’t used their services on Amazon Prime.  I wasn’t a member (or so I thought so) so didn’t take the emails too seriously but checked anyhow. I checked my bank statement but couldn’t find any transactions relating to AP for May 3 2019 (Renewal date). Just thought it was a marketing ploy to get me to join.  No Thank You.  Three months later further emails said my Amazon Prime was due for renewal so I checked my bank statement and I had indeed been charged £79 for AP subscription but missed it first time around checking as it wasn’t taken on 3rd May but a few days after which was on the following statement. I rarely use Amazon but made a couple of purchases last year for work so I don’t log into my account often so I wouldn’t have picked this up.  I logged in to my Amazon account and found out I was a member and cancelled immediately.  Called up Customer Services to explain I unwittingly signed up to AP probably through selecting a delivery option, I haven’t used any of the services and would like a refund.  Customer service rep said I made three purchases after being signed up so I had used the service so they wouldn’t refund me.  I made sure all purchases were over £20 so I didn’t have to pay for additional delivery charges hence not needing AP.  Their customer services reps are reluctant to give you advice when I said I want to escalate it to a complaint.  I emailed my complaint to Amazon via Resolver, only to get an email back to say they don’t deal with third parties so can’t reply to my request. I have now emailed Amazon via the complaints@amazon.co.uk address. Let’s see what happens.  This is not what I need right now just recovered from major surgery for cancer and further treatment halted because of Covid 19 so don’t need the additional stress. What can I do??

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options

Noticed emails from Amazon January 2020 saying I hadn’t used their services on Amazon Prime.  I wasn’t a member (or so I thought so) so didn’t take the emails too seriously but checked anyhow. I checked my bank statement but couldn’t find any transactions relating to AP for May 3 2019 (Renewal date). Just thought it was a marketing ploy to get me to join.  No Thank You.  Three months later further emails said my Amazon Prime was due for renewal so I checked my bank statement and I had indeed been charged £79 for AP subscription but missed it first time around checking as it wasn’t taken on 3rd May but a few days after which was on the following statement. I rarely use Amazon but made a couple of purchases last year for work so I don’t log into my account often so I wouldn’t have picked this up.  I logged in to my Amazon account and found out I was a member and cancelled immediately.  Called up Customer Services to explain I unwittingly signed up to AP probably through selecting a delivery option, I haven’t used any of the services and would like a refund.  Customer service rep said I made three purchases after being signed up so I had used the service so they wouldn’t refund me.  I made sure all purchases were over £20 so I didn’t have to pay for additional delivery charges hence not needing AP.  Their customer services reps are reluctant to give you advice when I said I want to escalate it to a complaint.  I emailed my complaint to Amazon via Resolver, only to get an email back to say they don’t deal with third parties so can’t reply to my request. I have now emailed Amazon via the complaints@amazon.co.uk address. Let’s see what happens.  This is not what I need right now just recovered from major surgery for cancer and further treatment halted because of Covid 19 so don’t need the additional stress. What can I do??

Wait to see what their response is.

• FifiJabar_786
    Options
    Pollycat said:

Wait to see what their response is.

Got an email back to say they will refund me. To be honest I wasn't expecting them to. Thank you MSE. If they don't agree to refund you don't take no for an answer be persistent and put it in writing. 
  • Thank you MSE, thank you @martinlewis. Just got partial refund for Amazon Prime membership for months (13 months) I did not use Prime. Like many here I also availed of free trial period and forgot to cancel. So disappointed with Amazon as many people get caught up in this scheme. I asked the customer service representative if Amazon can send monthly bill statements by email or post so customers will know what memberships they are being charged for. I got caught up in their free trial of Audible as well.
    you forgot to cancel - how is that amazon's fault? I notice the charge on my credit card statement - do you not get statements from your credit card?
  • zarth
    zarth Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Hello!
    I am not good at monitoring my bank accounts, but when I got 4 charges in a row in 1 day (!) from "Amazon Prime" on 28 Apr 2020 - it attracted my attention... mostly because I am not even a Prime member!
    All charges from Amazon UK GBP 7.99 each.
    I have never been a member of UK Prime...
    I used to be a member of the US Prime and cancelled it back in 2018. Never had any problems since then and here we go...
    Logged in to Amazon UK to check my status: "No subscription found" and "You are not a Prime member"
    Upon checking my bank account history - I was stunned finding multiple charges starting in Dec 2019 for EUR49.00 and every following month one charge of GBP 7.99 and finally 4 (!) charges in Apr... Totalling in EUR 48.99 + GBP 55.93 (7.99 x7)
    Contacted Amazon UK - and got the response "I've transferred this issue to our relevant team they will get back to you within 24hrs."
    ... 2 days later - no response... contacted them againg with the following result: "The team is on it, I've contacted them again, they shall get back to you within 12-24 hours without fail"
    That doesn't look good... either because something fishi is going on or Amazon UK is really in deep sh^t... not sure which is worse...

• wildcat21
    wildcat21 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Does anyone know how to get in touch with Amazon Prime at the moment. I've phoned two of the customer service numbers, just get a message saying they aren't taking calls at the moment, and to go to their website.
    I took out the free 1 month Prime trial on 1st March, and cancelled it on the 29th, ( I have emails confirming both dates) and they've charged me $12.99 or £10.90 on 1st April. I can't contact them through Amazon Prime on the website, as it says I don't have an account.
  • wildcat21
    wildcat21 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Finally got through on live chat. Transpires I had opened a Prime account with Amazon.com, and canceled one (which I hadn't actually opened) with Amazon. co.uk, I've emailed all the details to Amazon.com  and demanded a refund, watch this space.
  • Vajrayogini
    Options
    My wife signed up for the free trial and she noticed she was getting charged and spoke to someone. They kept charging her and when I go to her Amazon account it says she is not subscribed to Amazon Prime. I tried to call Amazon and they are not taking calls now.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    My wife signed up for the free trial and she noticed she was getting charged and spoke to someone. They kept charging her and when I go to her Amazon account it says she is not subscribed to Amazon Prime. I tried to call Amazon and they are not taking calls now.

Well, she would have been charged if she didn't cancel the tree trial within the trial period.

Could she be subscribed to Amazon.com rather than Amazon.co.uk? Or the other way round?
    Can you find an email address?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure