Renovations and Repayments.

Options

Comments

• kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are having doubts about your new career move.

It is very difficult to work full time and care for your family in the manner you were used to.

Only you know what is best for your future.

I do hope you find time to enjoy family time with what is left of the weekend.

Take care.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a very tough industry these days, and no mistake :(

I hesitate to say this, but you don't have to work in it for the rest of your life, even if you get your qualification. There's full time paid work, part time too, whether state or private, and there's also private tuition, which has a decent rate of pay per hour, and fits really well into the life of someone who has other streams of income going on as well.

Just something to think about.

Take care, Alex.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,348 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 September 2017 at 6:09PM
    Options
    My husband undertook teacher training as a graduate in his mid forties. He found the "wisdom" regarding research that had not been revisited for close to fifty years, with more and more theories layered on top, combined with a need to blindly accept that this was how it must be done, very frustrating. He bit his tongue, put his head down and got through it. He loves teaching, despite the downsides and has no regrets, but he wanted to quit at several points.

So don't feel you are alone Alex. My husband did not have a plan B so he stuck with it, but it called his very desire to teach into question. I feel for you. It is a dilemma.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,601 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My husband undertook teacher training as a graduate in his mid forties. He found the "wisdom" regarding research that had not been revisited for close to fifty years, with more and more theories layered on top, combined with a need to blindly accept that this was how it must be done, very frustrating. He bit his tongue, put his head down and got through it. He loves teaching, despite the downsides and has not regrets, but he wanted to quit at several points.

So don't feel you are alone Alex. My husband did not have a plan B so he stuck with it, but it called his very desire to teach into question. I fell for you. It is a dilemma.

It is a dilemma. It's sad that being used as a political football by successive governments has had such an adverse effect. Alex is just what the profession needs: a teacher who thinks! Too many these days just follow, not helped by teaching to the tests. Unfortunately it's necessary to work with the system to get the piece of paper. :(
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    kelpie35 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you are having doubts about your new career move.

It is very difficult to work full time and care for your family in the manner you were used to.

Only you know what is best for your future.

I do hope you find time to enjoy family time with what is left of the weekend.

Take care.

Thank you, kelpie. :)

We've had a good, if quiet weekend. I'm starting to see the potential in things I had somewhat dismissed beforehand. Finding being "employed" (well, sort of) very difficult and am throwing myself into the potential property project during my (few) spare hours. My wife is spending more time on it than I and seems to have found herself in my parents' good book. :rotfl:
    Karmacat wrote: »

I hesitate to say this, but you don't have to work in it for the rest of your life, even if you get your qualification. There's full time paid work, part time too, whether state or private, and there's also private tuition, which has a decent rate of pay per hour, and fits really well into the life of someone who has other streams of income going on as well.

Take care, Alex.

Thank you, karmacat. :)

I am seeing a different side to it now I am a part of it, rather than a volunteer or someone who teaches pupils how to play the violin (seen as being non-essential, I suppose). I think some of the problem is having other commitments, both familial and business.
    My husband undertook teacher training as a graduate in his mid forties. He found the "wisdom" regarding research that had not been revisited for close to fifty years, with more and more theories layered on top, combined with a need to blindly accept that this was how it must be done, very frustrating. He bit his tongue, put his head down and got through it. He loves teaching, despite the downsides and has not regrets, but he wanted to quit at several points.

So don't feel you are alone Alex. My husband did not have a plan B so he stuck with it, but it called his very desire to teach into question. I fell for you. It is a dilemma.

It doesn't seem things are much different now, SL. There seems A LOT of mindless, repetitive paperwork and tasks which seem to be little about educating pupils. From what I've seen it doesn't seem to change all that much post qualification, either. That doesn't concern me so much as the blame and guilt placed upon us. There seems an expectation of us to give an awful lot of time at the expense of our own families / other commitments which I am not willing to give. I care about giving my pupils an education but not at the expense of my wellbeing.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    It is a dilemma. It's sad that being used as a political football by successive governments has had such an adverse effect. Alex is just what the profession needs: a teacher who thinks! Too many these days just follow, not helped by teaching to the tests. Unfortunately it's necessary to work with the system to get the piece of paper. :(

What the government wants seems to play a vast role which I hadn't quite anticipated. I suppose that was not helped by my own background. A lot do seem to follow and to be honest I have come across ones that do not seem to be articulated or educated professionals.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 24 September 2017 at 11:02PM
    Options
    Start as I mean to go on with ... Organise end of month treat ... :DGoing to speak to Mrs. K. about this tomorrow evening. :)
    Overpayment: Make one even if it is only £50. On track to make a £100 overpayment. :)
    Food budget: £300 / £400. :o
    Meat free days: 5 / 10.
    No work weekends: 2 / 3.
    15 minutes piano practise each morning: 20 / 33. :)
    At least 10,000 steps per day: 11,000 today.
    10 minutes exercise (not inc. walking): 2 / 34. :rotfl: Completely forgot about this target. Should update more. :o
    A/F school nights: This has been much better over this week, not even had wine with our evening meals. :)
    but most importantly ... Get through the month!:eek:
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    There seems an expectation of us to give an awful lot of time at the expense of our own families / other commitments which I am not willing to give. I care about giving my pupils an education but not at the expense of my wellbeing.
    Thats absolutely the thing to keep in mind as you go forward.
    Save
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »

Take care, Alex.

This is very true. If you get through the training and get your qualified teacher status, there will be other doors open besides full time school positions.

A very good friend of mine was ambitious when she started her teaching career, was head of department within 5 years, but was getting burned out and exhausted.

Then she dropped to two days a week after having her first child, and she's never looked back. Two days allows her to get back to basics and just enjoy teaching while also having plenty of time with her young family.

I do hope you can get some decent rest soon and start to feel more on top of things, and I am delighted to hear that your wife and your cousin are supporting you and coming through for you.
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    Alex, may I pick your brains regarding a musical issue? It's a bit silly but you might be able to help...

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport