We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Removing swirls from paintwork

2

Comments

  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    comberspud wrote: »
    If you lived close I would offer to show you how they work

    Same here, but Facade is correct in post #2.
    Perhaps most of the damage was done before the OP picked up the car, over the counter products will make a huge difference if used correctly and time applied, the OP is perhaps wasting their time if they are now going to aim for a flawless finish.
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-meguiars-hex-logic-kit

    that would be the minimum kit you would need to start basic paint correction
  • comberspud
    comberspud Posts: 93 Forumite
    In defence to forgotmyname before I got one I was worried in case I could not use them. Now i'm an addict. If you get to a good car shop and get advice on a beginners selection of products and pads you cant go wrong. Start with light to medium pads and matching compounds. Results will amaze you!
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    scotsbob wrote: »
    ??? I belong to two car clubs and all the members use them and I have never heard of this.

    I think he may be confusing dual action with rotary which can be a bit harder for a novice to master and if used incorrectly can leave buffer trails and can burn your paint
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    if you want something that you can do by hand to make the car look better rather than actually correcting the paint you could hand polish the car with a polish that contains fillers

    I have used Autoglym Super Resin Polish to good effect in the past and as it is contains fillers it masks the swirls rather than actually removing them

    autoglym SRP applied by hand and then finished with a paint sealer is a cheap option and will require a bit more elbow grease than using a machine and it will hide the swirls rather than removing them
  • facade
    facade Posts: 8,193 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    A half decent polisher will set you back around £100 or more. They look like an angle grinder. Under no circumstances waste money on those "polishers" that Halfords sell for £50 and B&M do for about £15. They don't do anything.

    I've got a Makita polisher that I've used to turn a chalky pink vauxhall back to shiny red. They make a hell of a mess of your drive as you need lots of water that flings off with the compound, and you can pretty much throw your overalls away after too.

    I usually get reasonable results with the Autoglym resin polish suggested above on a cloth by hand followed by autoglym sealant when I first buy a car, (they only get one treatment), but it doesn't last long.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

    (except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,959 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 8 March 2015 at 7:12PM
    I would not suggest that you use a machine polisher without some experience (preferably on other folks cars first)

    The best swirl remover is this one:

    http://www.halfords.com/motoring/cleaning-products/paint-restorers/farecla-g3-permanent-scratch-remover-liquid-500ml

    If the paint has faded as red often does this will give better results than using Autoglym right away.

    By all means follow the Farecla G3 up with Autoglym Super Resin Polish and then seal the surface with Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.

    Excellent results at minimal cost, and loads of hard rubbing is really not required if you follow the instructions carefully.

    I find the water repellent gloss lasts at least 6 months.

    You won't get really deep swirls and scratches out but you will mask/disguise most of them pretty well - at worst it'll be a great improvement.

    It depends on how 'beautiful' you want the paintwork to be - if you want near showroom perfection, you'll need to employ a professional detailer and be prepared for 'open-wallet' surgery.
  • Lincoln_Imp
    Lincoln_Imp Posts: 2,518 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks all with some great replies
    Not sure about a full respray though :D

    Will have a go with Autoglym SRP ,The reviews online for it look pretty good
    Have a nice day :)
  • force_ten
    force_ten Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks all with some great replies
    Not sure about a full respray though :D

    Will have a go with Autoglym SRP ,The reviews online for it look pretty good

    I think the comment about the respray was for when you messed up the paint with a bodged attempt at machine polishing

    www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher

    look at that link and you will see the section that says
    Dual action polishers will improve the texture and luster of automotive paint with virtually no risk. They are the most user-friendly option for beginners and professionals, and they consistently produce beautiful results

    dont be put off by people saying they will damage your paint, look on youtube and you will find loads of beginners guides to using a dual action polisher

    the info given by ice is good info with the suggestion of using the farecla scratch remover before using the autoglym SRP

    www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread

    have a look at that for all you will ever need to know about autoglym SRP

    keep an eye on halfords as the often have three for two on car cleaning products and autoglym products are sometimes included
  • comberspud
    comberspud Posts: 93 Forumite
    SRP is good for filling or masking light swirls, great for polishing after getting rid of the swirls with a proper cutting agent.

    I would seriously try Meguiars swirl compound before SRP.

    To remove swirls I usually use Meguiars (By machine polish), then Poorboys Swirl filler then seal and wax.

    After a good machine polish which is only needed once a year then use the likes of SRP on your regular washing and polishing weekends. Top it off with Autoglym high gloss or ultra shine for complete finish

    I would not rate SRP as a swirl remover.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.