We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Abandoned van near my house - what can I do?
Hi, I'm new to the forum, and I'm not sure if this is the right place for my question, but here goes...
I'd like to ask if there's anything I can do about a vehicle that seems to have been dumped near my house.
It has definitely been there for a few months - a neighbour and I noticed it in December, but, as it had a valid tax disc, didn't think we could do anything. Today I checked vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk - no tax, no MOT. It's an unmarked white van and it's in an increasingly grotty state: dirty, flat tyres, bits of trim hanging off.
The problem I have is that it's in a comunal parking area shared by a number of neighbours. We don't have allocated spaces - in fact, there's not even a sign saying 'residents only'. I imagine (though haven't yet checked) the land is owned by the Council. Is this 'off the public road'? Do the spaces count as private property?
I've been looking for similar cases and found this tread forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4217547 In that case the resident wanted to keep his car with SORN in the car park - the conclusion seemed to be that anyone towing the vehicle would be breaking the law. That man was planning to keep his car in good condition and use it again (lawfully) in the future. In contrast, the van near my house looks like a wreck - does this make a difference? Or is it simply 'off the road' = 'none of our business'?
I'd be very grateful for any advice. Many thanks.
Sarah
I'd like to ask if there's anything I can do about a vehicle that seems to have been dumped near my house.
It has definitely been there for a few months - a neighbour and I noticed it in December, but, as it had a valid tax disc, didn't think we could do anything. Today I checked vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk - no tax, no MOT. It's an unmarked white van and it's in an increasingly grotty state: dirty, flat tyres, bits of trim hanging off.
The problem I have is that it's in a comunal parking area shared by a number of neighbours. We don't have allocated spaces - in fact, there's not even a sign saying 'residents only'. I imagine (though haven't yet checked) the land is owned by the Council. Is this 'off the public road'? Do the spaces count as private property?
I've been looking for similar cases and found this tread forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4217547 In that case the resident wanted to keep his car with SORN in the car park - the conclusion seemed to be that anyone towing the vehicle would be breaking the law. That man was planning to keep his car in good condition and use it again (lawfully) in the future. In contrast, the van near my house looks like a wreck - does this make a difference? Or is it simply 'off the road' = 'none of our business'?
I'd be very grateful for any advice. Many thanks.
Sarah
0
Comments
-
Why not just report it to the council?0
-
Thanks for replying. I'm just not sure if it's their responsibility...0
-
Yes I think it is, check your local councils website. You could report it to DVLA as well.0
-
Thanks Al1x. The council's website specifies that their obligations cover only 'public land' - and I've been reading forum discussions which made me doubt whether a shared parking area is private or public.
I guess I should call them - I'm just trying to understand before I go blundering in!
0 -
If it is on-road without tax, that is against the law - can you call the traffic police to get it towed?
Don't count on the Council moving it any time soon:
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/abandoned-mercedes-removed-broadway-plaza-8654425(Nearly) dunroving0 -
Is it unlocked?0
-
as its in a communal area that would suggest that public have access to this area in their cars if this is so then report the van as untaxed to dvla stating where and when it can be seen and let the local clamping unit sort it ,as they will as they work on commission0
-
There was a similar issue in a thread here a few months ago. LA and Police not interested because it was on 'private land'. The best solution suggested was to get together with a few neighbours and tow the vehicle out and onto the public road. Then report it
If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.0 -
Tax is only required if the vehicle is on a road which is maintained at public expense - whether or not the public have access is irrelevant.as its in a communal area that would suggest that public have access to this area in their cars if this is so then report the van as untaxed to dvla stating where and when it can be seen and let the local clamping unit sort it ,as they will as they work on commission0 -
Tax is only required if the vehicle is on a road which is maintained at public expense - whether or not the public have access is irrelevant.
So an untaxed vehicle in a supermarket car park can just stay there and nobody will mind? The council/whoever won't collect and impound it? Really?
And that's ignoring the fact that ALL vehicles need to be taxed or declared SORN, whether they're on public land or not. (Unless they were taken off the road quite some time ago).0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

