PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - help and support in tough times

Options

Comments

• camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good to hear from you cheapskate, sorry you've had a rough time.

I hope your family have a good holiday monna, I hope you also enjoy having a whole week to yourself!

The weather here has been fantastic for the past couple of weeks, just a couple of showers that have been good for the garden. I'll go and water the veggies later, I had a bout of overheating when I came in from the hospice so have had a shower and need a rest for a while!

Lynn, your rugs sound fabulous, they'll be so cosy in the winter.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Gee Whizz. Apart from sounding like a refugee from The Beano I am exhausted. The family have departed with lots of last minute panics about ear phones, blue jackets, travel insurance documents having been accidently printed on A3 instead of A4 and needing a suitcase all of their own, and blanky having disappeared and being found already in the car. PHEW.

The dog is slightly bemused by all this unexpected activity in the middle of the night but has taken the opportunity to hop up on to his mistress's bed and enjoy the rest of the night in guilty, forbidden luxury.

I really fancied a cup of industrial strength coffee when the car disappeared down the road but had a stern word with myself and drank some healthy water.
    It's boring being sensible, isn't it?

Sleep well.

Hello Softstuff if you are around. I have had some experience of sorting out parent's estates. Even when everything had been carefully planned and we all worked together on it, it was a nightmare.
    Good luck.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ivyleaf wrote: »

DD is ok, but will be so glad when she can have her op. She's nervous that it may flare up again in the meantime (the consultant having described her appendix as a "ticking time bomb":eek:) because if that happens she will have to spend hours in a & E all over again.

I have never heard of having to wait for an appendectomy once it has been diagnosed as needing to come out. Is it not considered emergency surgery in the UK? Fingers crossed it doesn't rupture. When is her operation scheduled? Oh my!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Enjoy your time alone Monna, Ivyleaf, I hope DD is sorted soon.
    Hubby is in a lot of pain having moved many items weighing in excess of 30 stone with no proper equipment.
    I've had a reply to my emails about DGD 5 being upset as no one would partner her at dance class, but the reply merely said 'I'm sorry, I wasn't aware of this'. My next email will say 'Why weren't you aware, there are 10 children and 2 or 3 staff each week?'
    A child free day today, I need to make inroads with more decluttering.
    Fuddle, keep fighting and chin up.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ivyleaf: I don't get this long delay over treating your daughter. Appendectomy is a relatively quick and straightforward procedure. Leave it however and the consequences can be fatal. I'm not scaremongering but I very nearly lost my DS2 when he was 6 years old because a locum doctor misdiagnosed appendicitis. Briefly he had an abscess on his appendix which burst, healed over and burst again. He arrived at the hospital with 20 minutes to spare, had to be resuscitated 3 times during the operation and was on a drip for over a week.. He now, aged 44, has a long scar right across his abdomen.
    Those couple of weeks has left its scar on me also. Peritonitis is something to be avoided at all costs.
    Please Ivy, keep your eye on your DD.

Hester: Surely 'elf and safety has something to say about people moving heavy items without proper equipment. It's intolerable that your L&M should have to put up with that. Would a murmur about " compensation" concentrate people's minds a bit?
    Good luck with the house prettifying.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Morning everybody. Nice to see you cheapskate! Off for my third pot of tea now..
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I was diagnosed with an enlarged appendix and was put on the urgent list for an appendectomy. The operation was carried out about three weeks later, but if I had suffered any pain it would have been done sooner. The operation is only done immediately if there is severe pain or signs of potential rupture. Mine was done laparoscopically and I was home the next day, had to be careful with moving and handling etc for four weeks so had a good excuse to take it easy! The care and treatment I received from the hospital and the GP surgery was excellent. Turned out the enlargement was a benign tumour, so definitely "better out than in." Imagine if it had continued growing and started causing pain, I could have been walking around and suddenly have the thing rupture on me! Thank goodness I had agreed a few months earlier to my consultant' s nagging to have a repeat colonoscopy, even though I was feeling fine and didn't fancy being scoped!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Ooh! Everybody round to monnagran's place - it's PARTY TIME!!!!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'll bring the plonk!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ooh! Everybody round to monnagran's place - it's PARTY TIME!!!!

Now that's a good idea :beer:

Thanks for the comments about my DD. When she went to A & E in April her appendix was so badly infected that it had attached itself to the bowel wall and the infection had spread upwards. So they felt it wasn't safe to operate at that time. She had two days on IV antibiotics then went home with a course of oral ones, and it has settled. I think I will see if i can persuade her to agitate a bit about it!
    Monnagran I know you're not scaremongering - a colleague's husband was misdiagnosed when his appendix flared up, and died of peritonitis :(

camelot I'm really glad you've had some good weather up there after all the rubbish weather you've had this year :T

It's still very grey and chilly here, but apparently we'll have a heatwave in a week or so!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure