2016 benefits changes for working people?

Options
I read somewhere (probably here?) that from 2016 people in work will no longer qualify for any kind of benefit at all.
Does it mean that HB, CTC and WTC will be scraped?
Anyone knows where I can find info about it? I googled it but nothing came up.
Cheers.

Comments

• marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sounds like another DM article. Have not heard of anything like that.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I read somewhere (probably here?) that from 2016 people in work will no longer qualify for any kind of benefit at all.
    Does it mean that HB, CTC and WTC will be scraped?
    Anyone knows where I can find info about it? I googled it but nothing came up.
    Cheers.

I found this...I don't know if that's what you mean though.

Universal Credit - Childcare element

An additional £200m of support will be provided within Universal Credit, which is equivalent to covering 85% of childcare costs for households qualifying for the Universal Credit childcare element where the lone parent or both earners in a couple pay income tax.

This is planned to be phased in from April 2016 as childcare support moves from tax credits into Universal Credit. Details will be set out in future spending reviews.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 March 2015 at 10:07PM
    Options
    What I meant was people who work but are on low income will no longer receive any benefit at all and will have to live on their income only.
    Did I dream (nightmare) this?
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You must have dreamt it.
  • xHannahx
    xHannahx Posts: 614 Forumite
    Options
    I think I've seen that some will lose eligibility but they aren't scrapping it for low earners. the only way they could do that was by increasing minimum wage considerably.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    marleyboy wrote: »
    Sounds like another DM article. Have not heard of anything like that.
    ...where M is for Mirror of course, it's the sort of story they use to get their readers frothing at the bit! The Mail on the other hand would have a story that illegal immigrants are being put up at the Ritz, to get their readers frothing, that's more their style :rotfl:

OP - the story is rubbish. In fact, under UC the support for those on the lowest in work incomes will usually be better than now - particularly for those who don't work enough hours for WTC. That's of course when it eventually happens...
  • benniebert
    benniebert Posts: 666 Forumite
    Options
    What I meant was people who work but are on low income will no longer receive any benefit at all and will have to live on their income only.
    Did I dream (nightmare) this?

What a wonderful idea! We seem to be going back into time when the working man cut his cloth according to his needs and managed to support himself and his family on only his income. What an incentive to be better educated, train, study more to get those better paid jobs and the promotion that would mean two holidays a year instead of the normal one?
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What an incentive to be better educated, train, study more to get those better paid jobs and the promotion that would mean two holidays a year instead of the normal one?

So who is left to do the low paid jobs that are essential? Of course people on low pay should be supported to enjoy a decent life, what needs changing is the 24 hours minimum between two adults to get full wack tax credits. That's an insult to all those working full-time paying tax to pay for those tax credits of those who can't be bothered to even look for more hours.
  • stevemLS
    stevemLS Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Options
    And equally it might force employers to pay proper wages instead of a pittance in the knowledge that the state will take up the slack.
  • TattyG
    TattyG Posts: 228 Forumite
    Options
    Was it this post?
    WTC and CTC will be stopping once the election is out of the way for everyone.
    In work benefits are next to go and will go quickly.
    Those who spent their tongue calling other benefit scroungers whilst pocketing tax credits because they are in capable of supporting themselves will be gettin a wake up call.
    They are NEXT.
    The seed has already been planted that In work benefits will be reviewed in 2015 last budget.

This was on the thread from the lady who has been told the work she does isn't viable work. It was posted but wasn't backed up with anything but the posters opinion. x
    Aug Comp Wins - :j

Fly Lady - Day Completed -

Starting to OS again and get life into some kind of order!
    :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport