Options
2»

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 April 2015 at 11:10PM
    Options
    You need to phone up the local supplier for a quote, there is no national pricing as it depends on area, volume and length of contract etc.
    LPG is roughly 33% more per kWh than mains gas, but that is based on 2013 rates.
    Your heating (and hot water?) will use the vast bulk of your energy; cooking is a relatively minor part of the total usage. And since your electric cooker will cost about twice as much per kWh to run compared to LPG, the lady who showed you round was clueless.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • longforgotten
    longforgotten Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    Options
    Gas cooker is good as if electric goes off you can still do the cooking and make a cuppa
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,250 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes we do have a metre. However I cannot seem to find the prices online so having a metre figure is all well and good - But no idea how much they charge so still pretty clueless. :rotfl:

If you have a link to the charges I would really appreciate it.

We have Calor LPG. We can stir fry no bother but do have a special ring on the hob which has a double ring of burners.

There is no set price for the gas.

Calor offer a contract at a set price for the term of the contract depending on usage. This is renewed regularly.

We do not have a meter but buy by the tankful.

We have now installed a wood burning stove so have cut our gas consumption by more than half. However , we now pay more per litre now because of lower consumption.

As Calor are the only company who deliver lpg to our area we have no choice but to pay their price.

You would need to ask calor or the management agency what the cost is for your supply.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry for Jumping in on this thread! But I was wondering the same thing - We have moved into a Flat that uses LPG (Calor Supply)
    Do you own or rent - you don't say
    Presumably (?) there is a 'managing agent' for the block of flats???
    I would start by asking them
    Yes we do have a metre. However I cannot seem to find the prices online so having a metre figure is all well and good - But no idea how much they charge so still pretty clueless. :rotfl:
    There are *no* on-line prices - it's a closely guarded secret what you pay for LPG
    My last load cost me sub 30ppl. I'm sure there are folks paying over 60ppl
    They have you by the short and curlies .....
    Good luck!
  • LittleVermin
    Options
    ..<However I cannot seem to find the prices online>....

J_B wrote: »
    ...<There are *no* on-line prices - it's a closely guarded secret what you pay for LPG
    My last load cost me sub 30ppl. I'm sure there are folks paying over 60ppl
    They have you by the short and curlies .....
    Good luck!

The major suppliers (Calor, Flogas and Avantigas) who have just under 90% of the 'market' do NOT publish prices on-line. And, as J B says, one user can be paying twice what someone else pays. And this can be to the same supplier! It's the same product - they all buy from the same refineries - and often use each others' depots!

But a few independents - Cardiff Gas, Extra Fuel, Lister, .. - DO publish prices transparently - on-line - and Lima Gas will email a quote which is the same for everyone if you fill in their request on-line.

HateLPG publishes the prices he can get hold of - AND the index for the wholesale price - every month. The latest is here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=67942155&postcount=2462 - that's in the 'Bulk LPG ...' sticky (it sticks around at the top of the 'LPG, Heating Oil...' board).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure