PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

slow cookers. Not the cheapest way

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    1700 kw for the steamer and it is usually on for 25 minutes. That is about 11p so I can`t complain. Cheap to make a full meal but the trick is to get it as full as possible, like the oven

All this stuff really did get me thinking today because oil is now around $77 a barrel and will only go up during the hurricane season in the states.It has been steadily increasing over the last few years and shows no signs of stopping. This will impact on our fuel prices. What with veg and grains going up because of flood, wet weather and bio-fuels. We have to be sensible and find ways of reducing costs.
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've been the same hence my interest as I'd worked it out on my SC and cooker that using the cooker hob would cost me 3 times the amount the SC does to run and I can make less. Your SC of course uses half the power mine does so can half the costs I stated, I might get a smaller one myself for doing smaller portions if that is the case. I've also just found the push along sweeper I forgot I had which using to reduce how often I need to vacuum.

I agree with the gas prices, also comes down to how little there is left and as this reduces the price will no doubt increase.

If you can find out what gas your cooker uses when on simmer then might be able to work out if it's cheaper as going by the figures I have so far it isn't.

What I would also say to members reading the thread is these figures are based on other appliances, yours may be different to these, also your gas/electric prices will be different, so far all I can find is going from values on my appliances and other peoples slow cookers are cheaper to run than a hob.

Also I have in my search for these come across hobs which use 6000 watts + so if the appliance is that high then the amount it costs to run will be significantlyeven higher than using an SC. Aswell as the enviromental issues like CO2 for such high usage.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • se999
    se999 Posts: 2,409 Forumite
    Options
    Just to add another option to the discussion. For stews/casseroles, what about pressure cookers?

I've been wondering if I should go the slow cooker or pressure cooker route? My mother used a pressure cooker for years. They're also brilliant for reducing the steaming time for things like christmas puddings. I've not tried a slow cooker.

Pressure cookers give a similar effect, but reduced cooking time due to the increased pressure when cooking, so use less energy than a normal saucepan/casserole on the hob.
  • lil_me
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would guess that pressure cookers would cost less to use than a conventional pan but would depend on cooking time involved as to how the costing of fueling the appliance it is cooked on as to how it compares with a slow cooker.

In all honesty I could probably cook the stuff I do in SC for much less time aswell, so then the costing becomes even lower, I tend to have it on for about 5 hours, also mine is 300 watts on HIGH but I only ever use it on LOW, so that probably reduces it aswell. Either way I'm happy with about 10p to cook that much food, any lower is a bonus.

I wonder if someone on the energy saving tips section would be able to advise on power usage of appliances when on low. I've found one manual which the energy usage for each hob is stated as to and from a certain figure. 1500-2000watts and 2200-3000watts. I wonder if this is the usage from lowest setting to highest.
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • Cazzdevil
    Cazzdevil Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You have to factor in the safety differences between SC and gas though, I'm happy to leave a slow cooker on while I'm out at work or overnight but no WAY would I want to leave a gas hob unattended.

Safety is priceless.
  • se999
    Options
    Cazzdevil wrote: »
    You have to factor in the safety differences between SC and gas though, I'm happy to leave a slow cooker on while I'm out at work or overnight but no WAY would I want to leave a gas hob unattended.

Safety is priceless.

But with a pressure cooker, you cook it when you get back because of the reduced cooking time. Or cook the night before and warm through quickly.
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    The power rating on items isn't representative of their actual usage. Just their maximum. Your slow cooker will only be using 300w when it's warming up, it will likely have some thermostatic control to throttle it after that.

To be honest to accurately measure costs you'd need to find out exactly how much energy is used in each.

The difference wont be worth worrying about.
  • Cazzdevil
    Cazzdevil Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    True se999, I was referring to cooking normally on a hob, but you're right, a pressure cooker would make using gas even cheaper and quicker.

Maybe still not as convenient as a slow cooker however.
  • lil_me
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree tr3mor hence why I used the energy stated for the appliances.

Using this to calculate slow cookers work out 3 times cheaper to run than electric hobs. If using gas hobs would depend on the gas prices at the time, but using Kittie's rates slow cookers would be still significantly cheaper to run than a gas hob aswell.

Until I could calculate EXACTLY what energy is used for each appliance (which may never happen as I don't have the facility to do this) I will go by these findings and that slow cookers are cheaper to run.

I suppose someone could check a gas meter reading then use only the hob on the cooker for an hour (heating it to temp then on simmer) and see how much they have used, then we could work out an hourly rate which I think would be the closest we would get to achieving a true calculation, but that of course would only apply to that appliance.
  • se999
    Options
    I was getting from the old style boards that the slow cooker choice is as much about how it fits in with your lifestyle as it being a cheaper method of cooking.

Just thought it would be a good idea to put in the other option. Currently with my lifestyle, I'm going more towards pressure cookers, but might give a slow cooker a try if I find a nice one at a carboot.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport