difference in blue badges

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
13 replies 2.2K views
lottyxxlottyxx Forumite
403 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
im quite new to having a blue badge and sometimes its quite confusing...in a local car park to me you can only park for free if you are tax exempt which im not...i dont mind paying ,but how would the traffic warden know ?? are the blue badges different in apperance? as we do not display tax now.

Replies

• Richie-from-the-BoroRichie-from-the-Boro Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    lottyxx wrote: »
    I'm quite new to having a blue badge and sometimes its quite confusing...in a local car park to me you can only park for free if you are tax exempt which I'm not...I don't mind paying ,but how would the traffic warden know ?? are the blue badges different in appearance? as we do not display tax now.

Blue badges are all the same ........ identical to look at.

Different local areas and differing areas of the country have different rules on paying and enforcing parking [i.e. Scotland / England] You seem to be confusing blue badge eligibility with VED exemption. A Certificate of Entitlement to Disability Living Allowance / PIP / AFIP entitles you free road tax providing the vehicle is only used for the benefit of the person with the exemption. The blue badge you display is nothing to do with road tax eligibility but it does contain all the information on the name / age / gender / address / etc of the blue badge holder.

Blue badge
    Road tax exemption
    you can only park for free if you are tax exempt

- never heard of this, let the group know what you mean

- millions of blue badge holders are VED [VEHICLE EXCISE DUTY] exempt with private non-motability cars
    - millions of blue badge holders are VED [VEHICLE EXCISE DUTY] exempt with motability cars
    - millions of blue badge holders have no VED [VEHICLE EXCISE DUTY] exemption at all but are still entitled to a blue badge
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • A lot of car parks now insist that free blue badge parking only applies if the car is tax emempt, ie, Motability. I assume the people running the car parks are able to check with DVLA for this as tax discs are no longer supplied. Also, Dartford Tunnel is free for tax emempt cars now that they have removed the tolls and people have to pay in advance for using the tunnel (& bridge). I get tax exemption as I get HRM / PIP.
  • pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also check what type of car parrk it is - Private (ie not operated by a legal body like a council) car parks often make it up as they go along when it comes to BB requirements.
  • edited 27 February 2015 at 9:06PM
    lottyxxlottyxx Forumite
    403 Posts
    edited 27 February 2015 at 9:06PM
    the car park i am refering to is a council car park that on some days has a market on...it says clearly its only free if you are tax exempt
  • HB58HB58 Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    the car park i am refering to is a council car park that on some days has a market on...it says clearly its only free if you are tax exempt

That system is very common locally to me. I left the tax disc on my car, even though it is not really necessary now, so that my tax-exempt status is easy to see. Obviously, that will not be useful once this tax has expired. I wonder if we are going to see a lot of people falsely ticketed?
    6.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭

- its always been the case that you should never assume parking is free, its in the R&R blue booklet you were issued with your badge
    - see above, I'd no idea such a restriction as combined VED & blue badge even existed - I stand corrected
    - for example you are entitled to a blue badge even if you are not in receipt of any of the qualifying benefits
    - to get a blue badge you need only to satisfy the qualifying test [subject to further assessment] criteria
    - even children under the age of three may be eligible for a badge and they can't drive

NOTE : I'm all for the check and all for prosecution and even taking peoples car off them.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • i just think every bb holder should pay or not pay...i dont see what that tax has to do with parking..if u are a bb holder you should be treated the same as any other bb holder.
    6.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    i just think every bb holder should pay or not pay...i dont see what that tax has to do with parking..if u are a bb holder you should be treated the same as any other bb holder.

I ½ agree, all BB holders should be equally treated, anything less is inequality. Its a crude ham fisted approach at doing the right thing. What they appear to be doing is to stop drivers [not self-driving blue badge holders] parking in the bay. That's the right thing to do - but laws already exist - the name and quick tracing details are contained in the new blue badge security system. Hence the reason earlier I said """I'm all for the check, and prosecution, and even taking peoples car off them."""
  • jennilbjennilb Forumite
    123 Posts
    This is my best guess for why they're doing this is:

A blue badge can physically be displayed in any car; the tax exemption is applied to just one vehicle. If you have the tax exemption, it means you're agreeing that the car will only be driven in one of the following circumstances:
    1) with the disabled person in it
    2) on an errand for the disabled person

If you're Dartford Tunnel etc, the benefit of limiting the discount / free service to people who have the tax exemption are:
    - it can be administered more quickly, via numberplate recognition systems and checks with DVLA website instead of someone having to inspect each badge etc.
    - it might perhaps reduce fraud. As we know, a minority of people do fraudulently use disabled relative's blue badges when they aren't with them.
    - there are fewer people getting the discount, so they're earning more money.

Now this is unfair on disabled people who share a car with a partner / family member. They can't have the tax exemption because they can't meet the legal requirements (above). Its also unfair on disabled people who don't own a car at all, but use the badge when they go with friends / family in the other person's car
  • For the life of me I cannot understand why there is this two tier system. What difference does it make if someone gets HRM or not? It isn't means tested. So why should some people have to pay car tax and some don't? It's not as though being disabled enough to get HRM means that they can't afford the car tax.
    As for car parking, the same applies, why is it assumed that those that get free car tax are entitled to free parking? Am I missing something? Do people actually believe that if you get HRM you must be poor?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals