Atlas trying to charge extra - can they do this ?

Options
just got the email below regards a booking in July. Given the original agreement was 'including all fees and taxes' does this mean I have the right to cancel the agreement with no penalty and start my search again ?
and does anyone know if this applies per car, or per passenger as suggested, in which case I'll ask the family to stand around the corner...

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR CAR HIRE AT FARO AIRPORT

As of 1st March 2015 an airport fee of EUR15.00 will be introduced to all passengers collecting a rental car at Faro Airport .

Unfortunately, this is a government imposed mandatory fee payable locally and therefore is not included in the pre-paid rate for your booking.

The fee will be payable locally directly to our supplier when collecting your vehicle.

Regards,

Atlaschoice Car Rentals

Comments

• BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All fees and taxes incurred in the rental companies' transaction with you. This additional fee is one set by the airport. Easy way to make money without doing anything for it. Like the additional fee when you stay ina hotel etc. in Europe.

Doubt you'll get away from it:(
  • dillydilly
    Options
    yeah but, point is I agreed the contract at the rate advised. I know they have no control over fees and taxes, but surely the contract is now void ? otherwise the govt could charge a £1m fee and the suggestion is I would be legally obliged to pay it
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    dillydilly wrote: »
    yeah but, point is I agreed the contract at the rate advised. I know they have no control over fees and taxes, but surely the contract is now void ? otherwise the govt could charge a £1m fee and the suggestion is I would be legally obliged to pay it

Challenge the fee in a Portuguese court or pay up.

While I appreciate your frustration you have no other choice.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,103 Forumite
    Options

A few years ago (around 2007?) the UK Government decided to up the rate of Air Passenger Duty (Tax). They chose a nominal date that the rise came into force. The charge was applied retrospectively. I had flights that were booked and paid for to travel after the date of the tax increase. The airline came to me and asked me for the extra money. I had two choices. Cough up, or cancel my travel plans for a refund. This was well documented at the time and applied to thousands in the same situation.

This is a mandatory charge imposed by the airport, and is well beyond the control of Atlaschoice or the car hire company then I think you will find yourself in a similar situation. And I'm sure its covered in the T&Cs you agreed to. However if you're definitely not satisfied you could ask if you can cancel and get a refund?

Given that its €15, and applies to all car hire companies at Faro, I'd just cough up and get back to looking forward to your holiday.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Their T&C's only state they can impose government taxes that take place after the contract period. Their email claims it's a government imposed fee but it's not - it's being levied by the privately owned Faro airport.

Legally, I'm sure if you fought it hard enough you could get away with not paying it. Morally, and for your own sake (it's only a tenner), it's probably best to just pay it or cancel.
  • dillydilly
    dillydilly Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    thanks Callum, nice to see someone who empathises with the principle of the question

surprised there are people on a moneysaing forum who say 'hard luck mate, just put up with it' - the point of this website is to challenge those companies taking advantage of consumer apathy, not to encourage the apathetic...
  • dillydilly
    dillydilly Posts: 171 Forumite
    Options
    bagand96 wrote: »
    I had two choices. Cough up, or cancel my travel plans for a refund. .

that my point - I am not being given a choice, the car Hire company should be offering a free cancellation option. I can then go back into the open market to get a competitive quote, possibly from a supplier who is willing to absorb the cost to gain share. Consumers should never accept an additional cost once a price has been agreed - sadly they do and companies will exploit this
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    thanks Callum, nice to see someone who empathises with the principle of the question

surprised there are people on a moneysaing forum who say 'hard luck mate, just put up with it' - the point of this website is to challenge those companies taking advantage of consumer apathy, not to encourage the apathetic...

Actually, I fully agree with them. You'd be taking advantage of a loophole in their T&Cs resulting in the company taking a hit, with makes you just as predatory as the companies you're complaining about!

They haven't just randomly decided to increase your price, the airport added a levy to the transaction and they merely want you to pay for it.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,103 Forumite
    Options

The thing is the company aren't taking advantage of anybody. And the title of this thread isn't even correct.

Atlaschoice are not trying to charge extra
    The car hire company are not trying to charge extra
    Faro Airport are imposing a new levy on all car rentals.

As Callum correctly said, neither Atlas or the car hire company are randomly deciding to increase their price. Neither company makes anything from the fee, it goes to the airport.

You feel the companies should absorb it as its not your fault. They feel you should absorb it as its not their fault.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure