Help please!!

Options
sandie3
sandie3 Posts: 40 Forumite
edited 26 February 2015 at 6:49PM in Consumer rights
My Daughter and Son in law bought a Renault 2nd hand car from a Renault dealer 26 days ago. It is a 13 registration plate, two years old next month. They were only given a 28 day warranty. The car has been back to the dealer today as the heating element on the back window dosnt work completely, only half of it heating up. The dealership has said that as its attached to the back window and there is "nothing wrong with the window" they will NOT put it right under the warranty as it would mean replacing the whole window when that is ok. The car was bought with a "heated back window", therefore, to us, its not "fit for purpose" and should be covered. PLEASE can anyone tell us if we are right in thinking that? I would appreciate any help or advice you can give me as soon as possible as we are running out of time under the warranty period. Many thanks...Sandie

Comments

• frugal_mike
    frugal_mike Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Options
    The warranty is in addition to your statutory rights. Under the Sale of Goods Act the retailer must repair, replace or refund if the fault is inherent (i.e not caused by misuse or accidental damage or fair wear and tear). Within the first 6 months of purchase it is up to the retailer to prove the fault is not inherent.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,136 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Does the car not have a 4 year manufacturers warranty?

http://www.renault.co.uk/ownerservices/warranty/renault_warranty/
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The simplest solution might be to get one of these:
  • Geodark
    Geodark Posts: 1,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wealdroam wrote: »

You ever tried them? I have a couple of broken lines on mine and have thought about getting one of those kits, but didnt know how good they were.
  • sandie3
    Options

Many thanks for your valuable help EVERYONE. wealdroam, while I appreciate your suggestion, (never knew those existed), my Daughter has only had the car 26 days, apparently, it isn't actually two years old until September. Surely you would expect a rear window element to last longer than this...
    Sheramber...thankyou for the info on the Renault warranty, that is a lot of help and having read the terms and conditions of it, it would seem the car IS still covered.
    My sincere thanks to all of you who have replied.
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 27 February 2015 at 12:40PM
    Options
    sandie3 wrote: »
    Many thanks for your valuable help EVERYONE. wealdroam, while I appreciate your suggestion, (never knew those existed), my Daughter has only had the car 26 days, apparently, it isn't actually two years old until September. Surely you would expect a rear window element to last longer than this...
    Yes I would expect it to last longer than that.

I just put forward the suggestion as I can see you/your daughter spending more than the cost of that in time and effort getting the seller to provide a remedy.

Not sure the manufacturer's warranty would cover what is almost certainly user damage... not necessarily you, but a prior owner. These heaters will usually last forever but a slight scratch will kill one line. Is the car a hatchback?
    Still worth asking about though.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How did they pay for it? Did they pay any amount by credit (either card or finance)?
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

I tried one of those kits once. Wouldn't bother was no good. Perhaps it was me but in the OPs position I would be chasing the dealer.
  • sandie3
    sandie3 Posts: 40 Forumite
    Options
    Wealdroam, I really do appreciate your suggestion, its something non of us knew existed. The dealers words were " as its attached to the window and theres nothing wrong with that, we wont do it under warranty as it would mean replacing the whole window". When the car was purchased by my Daughter, nothing was said about there being any fault with it, therefore we would expect it to be in full working order. There was, as far as I know, nothing on the paperwork which states "sold as seen".
    Unholyangel, it was bought with a debit card, which is "powered" by Visa, something we hadn't thought about till you said, but will look into, Many thanks for reminding me.
    My Daughter is waiting for a phone call from the dealership as I type, so we will wait and see what they have to say.
    Once again, ALL your help is very much appreciated. Thank you everyone
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sandie3 wrote: »
    Wealdroam, I really do appreciate your suggestion, its something non of us knew existed. The dealers words were " as its attached to the window and theres nothing wrong with that, we wont do it under warranty as it would mean replacing the whole window". When the car was purchased by my Daughter, nothing was said about there being any fault with it, therefore we would expect it to be in full working order. There was, as far as I know, nothing on the paperwork which states "sold as seen".
    Unholyangel, it was bought with a debit card, which is "powered" by Visa, something we hadn't thought about till you said, but will look into, Many thanks for reminding me.
    My Daughter is waiting for a phone call from the dealership as I type, so we will wait and see what they have to say.
    Once again, ALL your help is very much appreciated. Thank you everyone

If it was a debit card you will be reliant on visa's own policy. I believe there is a chargeback code for faulty merchandise so it may be worth asking.

I'd also send the dealer a letter before action. Title it as such (letter before action) and keep it simple and to the bare minimum. Purchased x vehicle on x date for x price total. X fault has appeared and as the goods do not conform to contract, you are requesting they repair. If they refuse, you will have it repaired elsewhere and then file a claim for the repair cost plus all other reasonable costs incurred. Give them 14 days to respond.

It may also be wise to include a few quotes for what it will cost elsewhere - often they can do it cheaper themselves and if they see what it will cost them elsewhere.....it can spur them into action.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure