RM £8 Customs Charge on £10 order

Options
I know the £8 customs fee is an oft-queried fee, but I'm not even sure I should be paying it.

In total, I've been asked to pay £13.95 on an order than cost $15.85 (about £10) - of which $5 was the item & $10 was shipping.

I've asked the person who sent it what they declared as the value, as RM's website implies that if the value was declared incorrectly, then it's tough either way - which doesn't sound right, as there is no way on earth this shipment is worth more than what I can show I paid for it - it's a few lego parts!

Not only that, but whilst you can challenge the fee / customs charge, you have to pay the fee first.

The process stinks :mad:

Comments

• maninthestreet
    Options
    VAT is only payable on goods imported from a country outside the EU if they are worth more than £15, and there should be no duty to pay unless the goods are worth more than £136.

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • aldredd
    aldredd Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    Exactly - so no idea where they got the idea that it was worth more than that - it's literally a dozen lego bricks - and yet you can't even challenge it without first paying the fee.
  • trukdiver
    Options
    aldredd wrote: »
    Exactly - so no idea where they got the idea that it was worth more than that - it's literally a dozen lego bricks - and yet you can't even challenge it without first paying the fee.

They may have read $15.85 as £15.85, but then there would have been £3.19 VAT as well as the fee.

I had that problem once but they wouldn't refund it (although they should have done because it was their mistake!). On another occasion, when the seller declared the wrong value, HMRC did refund, but RM wouldn't because it was the seller's fault.
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,749 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Were you not able to purchase the bricks from the EU? I'd have though ebay or bricklink (wherever you ordered it from) would have offered a European store with the same selection which would have worked out cheaper and less hassle.

How do you know about the charge, have you already got the package or do you still need to collect? Have you asked them how they've come up with the charge?
  • aldredd
    Options
    They were pretty hard to find parts, with few BrickLink stores stocking the right mix - and as shipping is usually similar from US vs EU, and having never had an issue before, there wasn't much else to consider.

I've been given a payment due card by RM - RM themselves won't discuss it - I'm to pay and raise a claim with BorderForce or reject the item.

Understand a mistake can be made, but to insist you pay before they'll consider a claim is outrageous in my opinion. Especially as it sounds like if there is any error on the declaration, they'll reject the claim (even if I can prove what I paid). grrr
  • Baggieboy_2
    Options
    Was charged £35.65 for a guitar pedal from Japan worth £100. As I'm not in the UK right now it was delivered to my mother's house and she paid up. I think I'll follow this up now.
  • aldredd
    Options
    Gah - so to turns out the sender entered the wrong amount - $45 rather than $5 :'(

which probably means i'll struggle getting my money back :(
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Baggieboy wrote: »
    Was charged £35.65 for a guitar pedal from Japan worth £100. As I'm not in the UK right now it was delivered to my mother's house and she paid up. I think I'll follow this up now.

Follow what up?
    VAT is payable on a £100 item (plus the P&P paid)
  • Baggieboy_2
    Options
    Oh, so VAT is 35% these days then? Thanks for that.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What was the postage cost? VAT is payable on the total order value, including shipping (so I understand).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure