need advice daughter stopped paying for tv i bought on my store card

hello all
please help me I bought in my name but delivered to her address
a 3d tv, she was ment to pay the repayments to me monthly
which was approx. £35 a month ,she has only made a few payments in the first year, can I reclaim the tv back.
thanks ejmbon

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Legally? Probably not. Did you have any kind of written agreement in place?

Ultimately you might be able to claim the money from her via the small claims court, in which case you would have to show that the TV was not a gift.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • StuC75
    StuC75 Posts: 2,065 Forumite
    sounds like you're going to be left paying for a TV you don't have.. so look to take it off her if you can. Treat it as a family matter, does it really need dragging through the courts??

How close a relationship do you have with your daughter? and would you want to risk that over a tv? Can she readily afford the payments and just choosing not to or is there other issues here?..

As its a family matter look beyond the obvious matter of just the tv..
  • If you can afford it then write it off as a gift, but I would would not be doing her any more financial favours in a hurry.

If you want to get your own back without causing you any pain, just take her out of your will :)
  • Gigglepig
    Gigglepig Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    lesson learnt - don't do her any financial favours in the future!

But personally I would not want to fall out over what in the grand scheme of things is not a huge deal. if this was out of character I'd be more worried if something was not quite right with her than about the tv. Is she struggling?

Did you talk about it at all when the payments stopped - If you just kept paying and didn't say anything perhaps she assumed you'd be ok with it?
  • Sounds like something from Judge Rinder!

The fact she has made some repayments proves it was a loan and she hasn't paid you. It depends on whether you can afford to write the debt off and call it a lesson learned without it affecting the relationship.

She probably didn't need a big TV in the first place if she couldn't afford it but you trusted her. She does need to learn that not repaying debts can have very adverse credit issues so your best punishment will be not to help her in the future so she learns a lesson!
  • ejmbon
    ejmbon Posts: 3 Newbie
    thanks for the replies, we stopped lending her money when we found out, her and her boyfriend have a £100 a week drug habit
    cannabis, after we stopped lending them money they went mad
    and refused to pay a loan that I was guarantee for (£200 a month), then tv £35 a month. We learnt her boyfried started her on it 15 years ago

ejmbon
  • jenny54321
    jenny54321 Posts: 29 Forumite
    if you bought in your name and delivered to her address sounds like a 'gift'. you have no legal credit agreement in place just 'verbally' , although it does sound like your daughter did try to pay off some of it at first - you may be as well to treat it as their next Crimbo gift (ie next chrsitmans dont get them anything as they got the Tv)
    and try not to be easy on her next time as they will take advantage (lesson learnt Ive dont it myself with my own son who spends on tattoes and car trims)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Its a shame your in the situation OP, get your daughter some phone numbers for help with the addiction.
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is it better than your TV? if you current TV is worth what she has paid appox, then swap them over and call it done.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • jaydeeuk1
    jaydeeuk1 Posts: 7,714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Doubt she still has the TV now so not paying for it. If I found out my daughters bf is pushing drugs on her I'd make sure he went 'missing'. Cannabis is a horrible life sucking drug that removes all drive from a person
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure