LHZ Electric Panel Heater Operating Costs

Options
I am considering moving to a three bedroom bungalow which has storage heaters installed. I have the same apathy to this form of heating as many of your members. I have come across LHZ panel heaters via the Heat & Cool website which claim that a 1600w panel heater was tested over 24 hours and used 3.5KW of electricity. The outside temperature was -1c and the room size was 14 meter2. Their calculation of cost per sq m was £4.53 per year based on 220 days! Based on this calculation these panel heaters are far cheaper than installing gas central heating. Even extrapolating the cost over 365 days it is still preferable to gas. Has anyone installed these heaters which are manufactures in Germany and carry a 15 year guarantee. I await your experiences with interest. Incidentally Scottish Hydro orperate an Economy 10 tariff which is cheaper than the tariff used in the Heat & Cool test. . Regards

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    There seems to be so many adverts these days with all sorts of meaningless statistics.

Lets get one thing absolutely clear. All forms of electrical heating have exactly the same effeciency - and that is 100%.

So it doesn't matter if you have a 50 year old 3 bar electric fire(3kW) or the most modern panel heater/electric radiator/any system you care to name of the same consumption. They all produce the same amount of heat for the same cost.

The difference is in the way they deliver that heat.

Instant heat with say a fan heater, where there is no residual heat when switched off.

Or

Slow buid up of heat with a oil/water filled radiator that retains some heat after power is switched off.

The bottom line is despite the figures you have seen above, any form of electrical heating using daytime electricity tariff is the most expensive way to heat a house possible and is approx 3 times more expensive than gas.

Read any independant puplication to get the facts and don't read the misinformation published by vested interests.
  • FrozenScot
    Options
    Thanks - I read your Telegraph article with interests. The panel radiators I am interested in have panels which give out residual heat. The test quoted was over 24 hours which caught my attention this is why I am interested to contact anyone who has installed the panels. . . . Regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure