Is Fizzy Flavoured Water Better Than...

Options

Comments

• brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2015 at 6:03PM
    Options
    Ph of lemon flavoured water 3 , coke 2.5 , plain water around 7.2 .

Fruit juice is really just a cheap way of adding sugar and it is difficult to see how it is healthier Other than not containing phosphates.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2671635/How-fruit-juice-turned-junk-food-Modern-methods-mean-not-concentrate-drinks-stored-year.html
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    brook2jack wrote: »
    Ph of lemon flavoured water 3 , coke 2.5 , plain water around 7.2 .

That's almost on a par with white vinegar. No wonder it can be used for cleaning, lol
  • brook2jack
    Options
    So can the "natural" San pelligrino limonata at ph3 .
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm a 45 year old coke fan(real coca cola that is) and have been drinking the stuff all my life. I have no health troubles and only a single filling from about 3 or 4 decades ago.
    Reading all the horror stories, i.e cleaning the loo with it etc I can't help thinking that if you like it, then drinking in moderation(a good tactic for any food or drink) is the way to go. I have 3 to 4 cans a week and don't drink any other pop.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It's interesting how some posters cite the sugar content in fizzy flavoured water and juices.

Fresh orange juice may contain sugar yes, but it's natural sugar. So long as you don't drink gallons of the stuff, your body will cope just fine with natural sugars, as I would suggest they are healthy.

Me thinks too many people see this recent fad with "no sugar" means all sugars when that is quite simply bad advice.

Plus, if you've been out on a lake or near the sea, coca cola can be good at assisting in the killing of any nasties you may have ingested.
  • brook2jack
    Options
    There is chemically and in every other way no difference between "natural" and "unnatural" sugar. Your body uses them in exactly the same way.

The average person under 65 gets the largest proportion of their daily sugar intake from drinks. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27941325 On average a British person eats 238 spoonfuls of sugar a week.

Indeed fructose sugar (the sugar found in fruit) is the sweeter of choice in many junk foods as it is cheap to produce.

There is absolutely no good or bad sugars, just sugar.
  • j.e.j.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There is chemically and in every other way no difference between "natural" and "unnatural" sugar. Your body uses them in exactly the same way.

The average person under 65 gets the largest proportion of their daily sugar intake from drinks. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27941325 On average a British person eats 238 spoonfuls of sugar a week.

Indeed fructose sugar (the sugar found in fruit) is the sweeter of choice in many junk foods as it is cheap to produce.

There is absolutely no good or bad sugars, just sugar.

That is incorrect. Many artificial sweeteners have side effects you wouldn't get with natural sugars. Sorbitol can cause gastro-intestinal problems and aspartame actually causes tumours in rats. Common sense should tell you that eating something that's laden with E-numbers is not going to be a healthy option.

--

The key is to have sugar in its natural form, eg eat an apple, rather than drink apple juice concentrate, as the latter contains far too much sugar.

Many excellent TED talks are available on the subject of sugar and its effects on our health. Look out for Robert Lustig, who has written and lectured extensively about sugar.
  • brook2jack
    Options
    Jej you are confusing sugar with Sweeteners, the discussion was about sugar from different sources not comparing sugar with sweetener.

OP was arguing sugar from a natural source eg fruit juice was different and healthier than what I presume is refined white sugar. The truth is no matter where the sugar comes from the body uses it the same and the sugar is just as healthy or unhealthy no matter what the source. There is no healthier , "natural" type of sugar.
  • brook2jack
    Options

Fresh orange juice may contain sugar yes, but it's natural sugar. So long as you don't drink gallons of the stuff, your body will cope just fine with natural sugars, as I would suggest they are healthy.

Me thinks too many people see this recent fad with "no sugar" means all sugars when that is quite simply bad advice

This is the quote jej
  • j.e.j.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jej you are confusing sugar with Sweeteners, the discussion was about sugar from different sources not comparing sugar with sweetener.

Maybe.. yellow-smiley-confused-emoticon.gif

At first it was asking whether fizzy flavoured water is better for you than coke zero, so I interpreted that to mean artificial sweeteners and chemicals versus fruit-juice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure