MSE News: Ofgem under fire for failing to keep energy prices down

Energy regulator Ofgem has been criticised by MPs for failing to ensure customers are getting the best value for money ...
Read the full story:

'Ofgem under fire for failing to keep energy prices down"

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Ofgem useless, who knew?
  • MillicentBystander
    MillicentBystander Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    edited 23 February 2015 at 1:38PM
    Well, at least the top brass at OFGEM aren't highly remunerated for their paltry effort. Oh wait a minute...

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/439470/Energy-bills-soar-but-the-watchdogs-at-Ofgem-are-having-a-gas
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Well I think it is entirely justified. After all with energy bills being so high, you would need a salary of 2 or 3k a week to be able to keep warm these days.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 February 2015 at 3:30PM
    How low does it have to be for you guys to say it's low enough?

Scottish Power March 2016 fix is £869 for 13,500/3,200kWh for my post code currently. Pretty good, I thought.

Gas is 3.0p per kWh. I seem to remember it was 2.2p per kWh about 15 years ago. With inflation, it's about the same.
  • @Pincher, good luck with Scottish Power whom I'm leaving due to their total lack of customer service.

They have been unable to correctly bill me since last September. They have lost 5 electricity meter readings, all given to their phone staff who read back the values at the time. The gas bill, well they just make up meter readings in their favour. And direct debit any amount that suits them.

And that is why Ofgem are useless as they never stop the power companies from abusing the customer base. Scottish Power should be banned from selling to any new customers until they sort out the mess that is their billing and customer services. My problems with SP are all too common.
  • gsmlnx wrote: »
    They have been unable to correctly bill me since last September. They have lost 5 electricity meter readings, all given to their phone staff who read back the values at the time. The gas bill, well they just make up meter readings in their favour. And direct debit any amount that suits them.

I've never had this problem can't you just enter your readings online? Surely if you do that they can't go missing.
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    gsmlnx wrote: »
    @Pincher, good luck with Scottish Power whom I'm leaving due to their total lack of customer service.

I seem to have got the knack of dealing with Scottish Power.
    I never call them, and do everything online. I was £400 in credit, and then the system dropped the DD automatically, and I am now only £3 in credit. I try not to jinx it by actually calling them. It seems the computer is the sane one, whereas the call centre is staffed by brainless zombies.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 24 February 2015 at 12:20PM
    Pincher wrote: »
    Gas is 3.0p per kWh. I seem to remember it was 2.2p per kWh about 15 years ago. With inflation, it's about the same.

You may wish to double check those figures.

15 years ago, i.e. in 2000, my records indicate I was indeed paying 2.396p per kWh with British Gas

However ... this was tier 1 pricing on a non-standing charge tariff.

The tier 2 cost (i.e after you had effectively paid the standing charge), or the cost when they applied a standing charge (13.39p per day), was just 1.389p per kWh.

BG changed to 2 tier charging mid 2000 (although, of course, they have since reverted back to a daily standing charge)

This was their standard tariff, paying quarterly on receipt of bill

Presumably Scottish Power do also apply a standing charge today.

Edit:
    Today on the equivilent tariff, BG would charge me:
    4.872p per kWh plus 26.01p per day

Today Scottish Power would charge me on an equivilent tariff
    4.215p per kWh plus 27.39p per day

(although, of course, cheaper tariffs are available to those of us with credit meters)
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    What a bunch of hypocrites. The Government are responsible for all of the extra stealth taxes added to our bills in the last decade, so I hardly think the "Energy and Climate Change Committee" can criticise Ofgem for bills going up or customer's own laziness when it comes to switching
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Pincher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    footyguy wrote: »
    You may wish to double check those figures.

15 years ago, i.e. in 2000, my records indicate I was indeed paying 2.396p per kWh with British Gas

The earliest records I can dig up is August 2006, a Powergen (E.On) statement. Before 5% VAT:

Gas Primary 3.006p, Secondary 2.390p
    Electricity Primary 13.940, Secondary 8.350p

In those days, I think we were all on standard tariff.

It was all rough estimates, any way.
    I'm just saying I seem to be paying more or less the same per kWh as before all this fuel poverty slogan chanting, when inflation adjusted.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure