Inconsidererate, aggressive, but not necessarily dangerous. Report?

Options

Comments

• Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Exactly! I initially watched this with the sound off. Do so, and stop the video when the car first comes into view. It has probably given the cyclist far more room than it would give a car (given that the cyclist is not the width of a car unless he is unusually broad in the beam).

The horn is clearly sounded as a warning of his presence. I suspect that something in the cyclists riding style as he approached (wobbling a bit, reacting aggressively to something else - and I suspect possibly wearing headphones) meant that the driver was uncertain that the cyclist was paying due attention to his surroundings.

At this point switch on the sound and continue playing the video. There is no sound of any horn after passing the cyclist nor any gesticulating from the driver. Again this points to no anger from the driver. The horn was merely a warning on approach - exactly what the horn is intended to be used for.

I don't think this is the case.

You seem to be suggesting the car driver used the horn to let the cyclist know they are there. This would presume the car driver had the cyclists best intentions foremost. This looks to be nonsense.

If you seen a cyclist wobbling or you were worried they might sway in front of your car what is the safer option.

To slow down and overtake the cyclist when the road is clear giving as much room as possible.

Or

Overtake the cyclist closely and on the same side of the road as them at high speed, whilst another car is coming towards you whilst beeping the horn potentially causing the cyclist to wobble / swerve by startling them

I do think that he should take this video to the police as I consider that it probably provides sufficient evidence of the offence of cycling furiously.

Not sure if you're being serious or not, but if you are you should know only a very few number of people have ever been charged with that offense. It's not something easy to prosecute for and would require something much more substantial than what was shown in the reported video.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 22 February 2015 at 4:02PM
    Options
    Exactly! I initially watched this with the sound off. Do so, and stop the video when the car first comes into view. It has probably given the cyclist far more room than it would give a car (given that the cyclist is not the width of a car unless he is unusually broad in the beam). The room to overtake has come from the opposite lane

The horn is clearly sounded as a warning of his presence.? I suspect that something in the cyclists riding style as he approached (wobbling a bit, reacting aggressively to something else - and I suspect possibly wearing headphones) meant that the driver was uncertain that the cyclist was paying due attention to his surroundings.

At this point switch on the sound and continue playing the video. There is no sound of any horn after passing the cyclist nor any gesticulating from the driver. Again this points to no anger from the driver. The horn was merely a warning on approach - exactly what the horn is intended to be used for.
    Watch it again and consider the horn was sounded by the oncoming car in annoyance at the bmw for forcing them towards the kerb.
    Its likely to be a big leap of faith for you, and others, to consider a motoring incident near a cyclist had nothing to do with the cyclist. The cyclist was a bystander. The main conflict was between the two cars.
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    It was obvious the cyclist was in the "secondary position" which is where the left hand wheel of most vehicles would normally run - the road is smoother here and it's the safest place to cycle most of the time.

The other cycling position is known as "primary position" which is in the middle of a traffic lane. The time to use this position would be on a multi lane road with narrow lanes where it would be unsafe for a car to overtake while sharing the nearside lane with a cyclist. Another time to "take primary" would be the approach to a roundabout as this is not the time to be sharing a lane with other turning vehicles!

Was it? I don't see how it can be "obvious" when you cannot see any part of the bike. Looking at the centre of the picture, it suggests that the rider is more or less a car width away from the kerb to me PLUS he also appears to be riding as if he's in a race.

But I would tend to agree that the car which sounded the horn was the one travelling in the opposite direction because it appears the beemer had had to cross the centre line due to the cyclist unnecessarily riding in a primary position.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • Norman_Castle
    Options
    But I would tend to agree that the car which sounded the horn was the one travelling in the opposite direction because it appears the beemer had had to cross the centre line due to the cyclist unnecessarily riding in a primary position.
    Did the following car have to overtake or could it have waited?.
  • Norman_Castle
    Options
    Looking at the centre of the picture, it suggests that the rider is more or less a car width away from the kerb

He's in the centre of a cars nearside wheel path. About 3 feet from the kerb.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mhJgx9C_fpI#t=5
  • Tilt
    Options
    Did the following car have to overtake or could it have waited?.

Not sure. Depends on how long the car had been waiting to pass.

Cyclist certainly looks as if he/she has no consideration for the following traffic from the way he/she is riding. For a start, it appears that he/she is not exactly riding in a true straight fashion due to the speed he/she is cycling. Maybe he/she could of eased off a little to allow the car to pass a little more easier.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • Tilt
    Options
    He's in the centre of a cars nearside wheel path. About 3 feet from the kerb.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mhJgx9C_fpI#t=5

Again, I cannot see how this accurately demonstrates the position of the cyclist in the road. In my opinion (being a semi-pro video camera man) without seeing any part of the bike in the footage, it appears that the centre of the picture (which I am taking as the centre line of the bike's position) is a bit more than 3 feet from the kerb PLUS (as I pointed out above) the cyclist dosn't appear to be riding in a true straight fashion. Seems he/she is wobbling a bit due to the speed he/she is peddling.
    PLEASE NOTE
  • frisbeej
    frisbeej Posts: 183 Forumite
    Options
    Tilt wrote: »
    Not sure. Depends on how long the car had been waiting to pass.

Cyclist certainly looks as if he/she has no consideration for the following traffic from the way he/she is riding. For a start, it appears that he/she is not exactly riding in a true straight fashion due to the speed he/she is cycling. Maybe he/she could of eased off a little to allow the car to pass a little more easier.

You factor how long you've waited in your overtaking judgements?

You can join Mockers in cutting up your licence and returning it to the DVLA!
  • Tilt
    Options
    frisbeej wrote: »
    You factor how long you've waited in your overtaking judgements?

No "I" don't. I factor in the prevailing traffic conditions which I am presented with at the time. My opinion was assuming the BMW's stance.
    frisbeej wrote: »
    can join Mockers in cutting up your licence and returning it to the DVLA!

My friend, if you had the slightest clue on my driving experience, you would deffo eat those words. You shouldn't presume so much :cool:
    PLEASE NOTE
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tilt wrote: »
    Was it? I don't see how it can be "obvious" when you cannot see any part of the bike. Looking at the centre of the picture, it suggests that the rider is more or less a car width away from the kerb to me PLUS he also appears to be riding as if he's in a race.

But I would tend to agree that the car which sounded the horn was the one travelling in the opposite direction because it appears the beemer had had to cross the centre line due to being impatient

Fixed that for you.
    The cyclist didn't make the car driver do anything.
    The car driver decided to attempt a dangerous overtake all on their own.

In these circumstances, with how far the cyclist is out the only safe overtake is to use the other side of the road. The same way you'd use it if it was a slow moving vehicle like a tractor.

In short, motorists shouldn't attempt to overtake the cyclist on this type of road when other cars are coming towards them.
    The cyclist will be cycling so far out from the side to discourage motorists from trying to overtake when other vehicles are approaching. I do the same. Otherwise everyone will try and overtake and force you into the kerb when other cars are comnig towards you.
    All your base are belong to us.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport