PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Should I ask to take the rest of the wine bottle home?

Options

Comments

• tain
    tain Posts: 711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does the OP expect to leave the wine for the waiters to drink instead of leaving a tip?
  • The only way this happens with me is when we have a big group and a few non-drinkers. But they are as rare as left-over wine!
  • keithyno.1
    Options
    I think some of the posters who have responded to the question seem to be confusing the LEGAL position (with regards to whether a restaurant is able to sell you a bottle of wine, which you then take out to consume off the premises) with the MORAL aspect i.e. is it OK to take out left over wine you have purchased, just as you would with left over food in a doggy bag?

Well I'm no lawyer and my knowledge of the fine details of the UK licencing laws is next to nothing, but if any restaurant tried to stop me taking the partly-drunk contents of a bottle of wine which I'd PURCHASED with a meal, well let's put it this way...they'd have to physically stop me leaving the premises by barring my way at the exit. And if they attempted to do that, they would have to accept the consequences of my determination to leave (I'm certainly no Mike Tyson but I'm a 6 foot male who as I get older am increasingly less likely to put up with b*llsh1t from ANYONE).

I hardly think any self-respecting restaurateur is going to try and purposely "rub up" a paying customer by steadfastly refusing to let them take away a product they've fully paid for anyway (whatever the legal position), do you?

So in short, there is NO moral dilemma here!!
  • mashedavocado
    Options
    Of course you should take it! You've paid for it!
  • 7thfebruary
    Options
    Of course it is okay. We always take home the remainder of our bottle of wine when leaving the restaurant. We have paid for it and so it belongs to us. I can't think why anyone should think otherwise.
  • tallgirld
    Options
    I have taken left over food from a restaurant before so taking home an unfinished bottle of wine would be normal for me!

I know what you mean though as there are people who frown on that sort of thing. Sod em you paid for it!
  • gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    Far better to take home any wine left after you'd had sufficient, than force yourself to drink more than you want, and especially if you're driving!

Wish the drunken idiots on the last tube / train / bus would practice a bit of saying no to that extra glass..
  • Augustus_the_Strong
    Options
    "Is it OK to ask if we can take the rest of the bottle home?"
    Don't ask, just tell them (if you need to say anything at all) that you'd like to take it home so could they please bring the cork/screw-top/whatever.

Why on earth would it not be ok?
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    you paid for it - and once its opened they cant give it to anyone else so just take it with you!

wring they sell it by the glass!!! to other customers
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    If you have this problem regularly, be sure to put a sherry cork in your bag - these are great for popping in half-empty wine bottles :)
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure