mortgage advisor requiring copy of credit report

Options
Good morning

we are currently applying for a mortgage through an FA, he has asked for us to send him full copies of our credit reports, a colleague is telling me you should NEVER provide a full copy to anyone - if they want to see it they can search it.

Can anyone advise? tia

Comments

• NorthernMonkey83
    Options
    Surely they'll do a credit score when you actually apply for a Mortgage?

Usually they'll want bank statements, wage slips, employment contracts as a Preliminary assessment of whether its worth applying in the first place... then surely a credit check will be done.
  • yes, they have asked for all that as well, the list of paperwork they have requested is ridiculous.

i just wondered if it was the norm now.
  • NorthernMonkey83
    Options
    Having previously worked in banks, I'm fairly certain they themselves can check your credit score when it comes to lodging a application.
  • ALIBOBSY
    ALIBOBSY Posts: 4,527 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I assume the advisor wants to see what is on the credit file so they can advise which mortgage companies to apply to?

As long as they are an independant advisor working for you, not a so called advisor at a bank or in an estate agent I can't see the issue.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• Malmo
    Malmo Posts: 710 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Good morning

we are currently applying for a mortgage through an FA, he has asked for us to send him full copies of our credit reports, a colleague is telling me you should NEVER provide a full copy to anyone - if they want to see it they can search it.

Can anyone advise? tia

Have you engaged an independent, whole-of-market mortgage broker? If yes, then it is actually good practice to put copies of your credit reports from all 3 agencies (Experian, Equifax, Callcredit/Noddle) in their hands as this enables the broker to evaluate a full picture of your credit history/profile and match you to the right lender and the right mortgage product for your specific individual circumstances. If it isn't such a broker (e.g. an in-house adviser employed by a specific lender or estate agency) then yes, be careful about sharing such data.
  • rizla_king
    rizla_king Posts: 2,895 Forumite
    Options
    When a creditor searches account details such as names of company your accounts are with, debt collection searches, and several other things dont show.

When you get a report they show.

This advisor is fishing for more info than he should really be entitled to have.
    Still rolling rolling rolling...... :) <
    SIGNATURE - Not part of post
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family