Do i have to update Experian myself ?

Options
I'm trying to sort my credit score out and get out of debt. I had a credit card with Tesco which was paid off and closed in August 2012. The last time they updated my credit file with Experian was in April 2012. I have spoken to them today and was told there was nothing they could do. They eventually agreed to send me a letter stating the account was paid and closed. Is it just me or when your trying to get yourself sorted they never want to help. I'm really annoyed and upset. Is this right that they can't update my file and I have to do it myself?

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    When you say you closed it in 2012 did you just cut the card up or did you call them and ask for it to be put in writing that the account was closed?

Did you not wonder why you were still receiving statements for 3 extra years?

Has the account been marked as lots of green zeros since then or lots of U's?

Get a copy of your credit report in 2 months time and check that the account has moved over to the settled section.

In the grand scheme of things, no harm done. There is no need to be upset.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Experian_company_representative
    Experian_company_representative Posts: 2,134 Organisation Representative
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi frog27
    frog27 wrote: »
    I'm trying to sort my credit score out and get out of debt. I had a credit card with Tesco which was paid off and closed in August 2012. The last time they updated my credit file with Experian was in April 2012. I have spoken to them today and was told there was nothing they could do. They eventually agreed to send me a letter stating the account was paid and closed. Is it just me or when your trying to get yourself sorted they never want to help. I'm really annoyed and upset. Is this right that they can't update my file and I have to do it myself?

Account information will remain on your Experian Credit Report for six years, so if the account is now shown as being settled from 2012 this will automatically be removed from your report in 2018.

Your Experian credit report is updated once a month by each of your lenders for an active accounts, this is likely to be different for a settled accounts where no further updates are due to be sent.

If you would like me to take a look through your Experian Credit Report and Score you can [EMAIL="uksocialsupport@experian.com"]email me[/EMAIL] with your details (name/dob/address), I would be happy to help.

Kind Regards
    James Jarvis
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of Experian. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"

Posts by James Jones, Neil Stone, Stuart Storey & Joe Standen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport