We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Verified by Visa password has to be renewed every 30 days

2

Comments

  • noh
    noh Posts: 5,829 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 18 February 2015 at 8:01PM
    Mine's a Barclaycard Visa. I have never been required to change the VbV password.
    I do not make regular use of it online it is often more than 30 days between transactions.
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 February 2015 at 8:06PM
    how often do you use it for online purchases where Vbv is required? If regularly then you probably won't be asked to change it.

    The CSA told me you have to change it every 30 days but I am interpreting that to mean
    if you do not use it for 30 days they deactivate it and place it on hold. You can avoid this by changing the password if you have not used it and that resets the clock. At least that is what I am assuming.

    I am going to try it again in less than 30 days and see what happens.

    Meanwhile can anyone point me in direction of VbV rules for visa ?
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 19 February 2015 at 11:18AM
    agrinnall wrote: »
    But is your Barclycard VISA? Mine is Mastercard, and like you I've never been asked to change my SecureCode password, so perhaps it's only something they implement for their VISA cards.
    Mine are Visa and Amex. I use Visa where Amex isn't accepted, i.e. not often. However, I never needed to change my VbV password.
  • G6JNS
    G6JNS Posts: 563 Forumite
    littlerock wrote: »
    Having had another run in with Barclaycard over its Verified by Visa password checking system, I have now been advised by the BC internet team that the password used for VbV must be changed every 30 days. If it is not, next time you use the card it will be blocked.

    Go Figure.
    It is all part of the effort to reduce fraud. No doubt you would be complaining if a fraudster attacked your account.
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I assume everyone's account is targeted all the time. What I do not understand is why my account seems to have been selected by VbV for particularly zealous fraud checks. As you can see from the replies here the sort of monthly block being enacted on my Barclaycard Visa is by no means universal.

    For the record I would add that I have had a Barclaycard forever, never gone over my limit, always paid on time and never had, to my knowledge, any fraudulent activity on my account. My OH, who can lay claim to none of these, has never once has been asked to prove who he is or had his Barclaycard blocked by VfV. Not once.

    I cannot get any sort of answer, straight or otherwise, over why I am being apparently singled out for special checks. Looking up on the internet, there are other people with the same issue as me.

    I managed to escalate it to a senior manager back in the UK last month and he checked out my account and said my record was perfect and I was their ideal customer and he had no idea why I was being subjected to such stringent checks.
  • Close the account and go to a new card provider. VbV and the Mastercard equivalent are garbage! Don't sign up to them. The sign-up protocol is insecure (and annoyingly time-consuming) and the system is designed to protect the bank, not you.

    Of my several credit cards, one doesn't force VbV sign-up when I use it online, so that's the only one I ever use online.
  • dzug1
    dzug1 Posts: 13,535 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    grumbler wrote: »
    I often use my Barclaycad online and I have never been asked to change the password.
    It's ridiculous to change password every month.


    If you are paranoid about security it isn't


    Practically I'd agree with you though. It's so long since I used VBV etc that I no longer know what the passwords are
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Found this condition on a US bank which was introducing VbV

    Expiry of Passwords: Your passwords will expire after 30 days of generation if you have not logged in.
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    Hasnt VBV changed now, it no longer requires you to input characters from your password, but several different fields of information, some info from the card, some personal details like DOB etc?
  • This explains a lot. I've been wondering why I have to change my Verified by Vis password every time I try to use it. I don't generally use it more than once in 30 days. No need to bother remembering it then, just make up something random every time! Pointless exercise.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.