We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Verified by Visa password has to be renewed every 30 days

Having had another run in with Barclaycard over its Verified by Visa password checking system, I have now been advised by the BC internet team that the password used for VbV must be changed every 30 days. If it is not, next time you use the card it will be blocked.

Go Figure.
«13

Comments

  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    littlerock wrote: »
    Having had another run in with Barclaycard over its Verified by Visa password checking system, I have now been advised by the BC internet team that the password used for VbV must be changed every 30 days. If it is not, next time you use the card it will be blocked.

    Go Figure.

    Go figure what ? Change the password to avoid it being blocked ?
  • BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think it is a little excessive but unfortunately there are a lot of nasty people out there who make it their life's work try and get access to your account. Banking fraud costs us all millions so anything we can do to stop or limit it has to be a good thing.


    I know it is a pain but if it helps to keep your bank account and credit cards secure I think it is a small price to pay.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I often use my Barclaycad online and I have never been asked to change the password.
    meer53 wrote: »
    Go figure what ? Change the password to avoid it being blocked ?
    It's ridiculous to change password every month.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    grumbler wrote: »
    I often use my Barclaycad online and I have never been asked to change the password.
    It's ridiculous to change password every month.

    I agree but if thats what Barclays say you have to do then thats what you have to do. Either that or change banks. I've never had to change my VBV password either, but i don't bank with Barclays.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Never been required to change the password I use for VbV albeit it's a Mastercard under the Barclaycard umbrella... and that's many years now.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 18 February 2015 at 4:44PM
    meer53 wrote: »
    I agree but if thats what Barclays say you have to do then thats what you have to do. Either that or change banks. I've never had to change my VBV password either, but i don't bank with Barclays.
    My point was that the "internet team" was possibly telling porkies. Unfortunately, it's not uncommon for all 'teams' and CS.
  • gwapenut
    gwapenut Posts: 1,545 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    In my experience, there's no surer way to force people to start writing down passwords than to come up with ridiculous rules like needing to change them every 30 days. It becomes impossible for the layperson to keep track and for many writing down, perhaps in encrypted form, becomes a necessity
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 February 2015 at 5:32PM
    This all seems to be quite recent. It is only in the last year that I have started having this problem of my VfV password being rejected. It is rejected with an error message saying it is because I have not used the card to make a VbV payment for 30 days. (I last used it just over 4 weeks ago to try and buy some cinema tickets and it was rejected for the same reason).

    I use my BC card a lot on amazon and with paypal with no problems but it is automatically linked to them so I do not need to use VbV there. It is only for direct online purchases where VbV password is needed that it is a problem and I probably make no more than one of these per month.

    I spoke to the BC Fraud team who said there was no reason they knew why my card kept getting blocked with VbV and I should talk to their Internet team. So I did and after checking it out, the girl came back and said the 30 day message was a bit misleading as what it actually meant was that the password was the same as when the card was last used which was more than 30 days ago. She said it to be changed every 30 days.

    Never been told that before but I have had the card forever. I think they mean if it has not been used for 30 days since the last use, the password must be changed. So I changed the VbV password, tried the transaction again and it went straight through.

    It only applies to my Barclaycard. The verification may be at their end of the transaction?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    grumbler wrote: »
    I often use my Barclaycad online and I have never been asked to change the password.
    It's ridiculous to change password every month.

    But is your Barclycard VISA? Mine is Mastercard, and like you I've never been asked to change my SecureCode password, so perhaps it's only something they implement for their VISA cards.
  • littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    yes it us VIsa Barclaycard.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.