We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Too Many Cards?
ColdHardCache
Posts: 15 Forumite
in Credit cards
I have 4 credit card accounts open, I have the dual lloyds account which I have had open for 10 months, I rarely use them and they cost £24 a year.
Would closing credit account effect my credit background checks?
Would closing credit account effect my credit background checks?
0
Comments
-
What are credit background checks?
If you don’t use the cards enough to warrant paying the fee, then yes, close the account. Your available credit ratio will decrease which is good if you want to apply for more credit in the future, and the account will show as settled in the closed accounts section of your credit files. If you are closing a credit card account, don’t forget if you phone the company to ask them to send it to you in writing that the account will be closed and check your credit files in 2-3 months time to make sure it is showing as settled.I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com0 -
Candyapple wrote: »What are credit background checks?
If you don’t use the cards enough to warrant paying the fee, then yes, close the account. Your available credit ratio will decrease which is good if you want to apply for more credit in the future, and the account will show as settled in the closed accounts section of your credit files. If you are closing a credit card account, don’t forget if you phone the company to ask them to send it to you in writing that the account will be closed and check your credit files in 2-3 months time to make sure it is showing as settled.
I meant hard pulls which are done when applying for credit.
Thanks for the advice, I will ensure I get a hard copy of the closing.
Cache0 -
No it wouldn't cause a problem at all. If you're not using the accounts, close them down. I'd just make sure you keep at least one credit card and pay it off in full every month.Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.
ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards