5.5 year old CCJ / Mortgage application / Experian

Options
Hi everyone,

I have a few questions that im hoping you may be able to help with. Firstly to sum up my situation. About five and a half years ago I got a ccj for £400 approx. I settled it immediately. Myself and partner are now looking to buy a home. We have about a £18k deposit. Combined we earn around £70k salary fairly equally split. Her credit has no prior problems and is strong.

The house we have seen we think will cost around 175k

Question 1: Is it worth us applying or would it make more sense to wait for the ccj to go off my record ?

Question 2: I got my experian credit report. It says 999 and excellent. But there is no mention of my ccj. Why is this ?

The reason why we arent just waiting is that my partner is expecting so our preference is to buy before that.

Any help very much appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• PETIE
    PETIE Posts: 93 Forumite
    Options
    A CCJ doesn't show if paid off within the first month i believe, so you maybe okay, I would check all 3 agencies though to be sure its not reported on any of them. but if you cannot see it then, then lender will not see it either
  • john1002
    Options
    When you asked experian for your report did you include all your addresses fir the last 6 years in particular the address were the ccj would be registered. If you didn't then it could be you may not see it but it will be found when a lender checks. See if that address is in your linked addresses.

John
  • toonit
    toonit Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Yes the address at which I received the CCJ is on the record. And the registered address before this was my parents anyway where i'm registered now)

What's the best course of action for me then ?
  • toonit
    Options
    PETIE wrote: »
    A CCJ doesn't show if paid off within the first month i believe, so you maybe okay, I would check all 3 agencies though to be sure its not reported on any of them. but if you cannot see it then, then lender will not see it either

I did indeed pay it off within the 1st month
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    CCJ's don't show up on CRA files if paid within 28 days.
  • solentsusie
    Options
    As above if paid off within 28 days it would not show. But you both should get your credit reports from all three agencies, Experian, Equifax and Callcredit (Noddle) as not all creditors report to one agency. That way you will have no nasty surprises on any fronts.

Good luck.
  • toonit
    Options
    This is a bit of a dilema really as I'm unsure whether to get the checks done by the others. They may rate me worse than Experian.

Or do I try to source a lender whom only uses Experian to credit score towards a mortgage. If possible ??
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    toonit wrote: »
    This is a bit of a dilema really as I'm unsure whether to get the checks done by the others. They may rate me worse than Experian.

Or do I try to source a lender whom only uses Experian to credit score towards a mortgage. If possible ??

You still need a copy of your credit report from all 3 agencies to give you the full picture rather than 1 third of it.

The problem you run into with only applying for selected lenders for a mortgage who only search Experian, is that at the initial search at the API/DPI stage they may only seach Experian, but you would still need a proper search done before they offer you the mortgage and this is where you would run into problems as they usually search 2 agencies, or all 3.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Get all 3, as per the advice given! Again, just in case, YOU NEED TO GET ALL 3 REPORTS. This is the only way you will get a true picture of what the CRA's hold on you. Get the £2 statutory reports from Experian and Equifax and it's free from Noddle.

CRA's don't "rate" you, they just give you a set of numbers based on the information contained in the file. They do not take into account your salary etc. and banks do. Do not pay for a CRA credit "score", its worthless.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lenders check the Trust Registry as part of the application process.

http://www.trustonline.org.uk/

So the CCJ if valid will be be visible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family