We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Rival Child Benenfit Claim

The child benefit office has stopped my child benefit, as they have received a rival claim for my son's child benefit. My payments have frozen while they investigate. I am with my son's father and have been since before my son was born in 2011. There has never been any issues with custody - we live together and my son attends nursery during the week. The nursery have written a letter for me to forward to the child benefit office, confirming that he is our son and lives with us. Has anyone else experience a problem like this? The child benefit office are unable to tell me when their investigations will be finished, but for all the time they take to investigate, I am without the money. We are already in financial difficulty. The child benfit office told me that the other claimant would have had to provide my details, so it must be someone I know, however I don't know anyone who would do this. Could this be due to an admin error from the child benefit office rather than a fraudulent claim and how can I speed up the process so that I am not out of pocket for too long?
«1

Comments

  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Surely that has to be an admin error ?
  • geminilady
    geminilady Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    I would phone the benefit office and state firmly that it must be an admin error as you live with the childs father but as the nursery has written to them also it should not be long before they sort it out and your payments should be back dated.
  • Thank you for your replies.. I assumed it was an error, but when I spoke to them, they said it will be somone I know, because they would have had to have given my details. I was suprised that she said 'it will be someone you know,' rather than 'it's likely to be someone you know.' Then again, there's no way she would have known this for sure, as she would have just been reading the notes on her system.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,104 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    vixen360 wrote: »
    Thank you for your replies.. I assumed it was an error, but when I spoke to them, they said it will be somone I know, because they would have had to have given my details. I was suprised that she said 'it will be someone you know,' rather than 'it's likely to be someone you know.' Then again, there's no way she would have known this for sure, as she would have just been reading the notes on her system.

    I have to agree that this sounds as if it is an admin error.

    However, is there any chance it could be a relative - parent/sister/brother? Any problems within the extended family about your own family?

    Sorry to presume - just seems strange about the 'someone you know' remark.
  • Sounds to me like they were trying to give you a hint that its a friend / family member without breaking confidentiality rules.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...


    Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would just wait until they have finished their investigation it could very well just be an admin error to think otherwise would possibly cause untoward friction if you start thinking of deceitful family or friends...You will get your answer in the end but it won't hurt to call to keep them on the ball.
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    I can't understand why they've suspended the CB payment. It makes no sense even if it was a genuine rival claim, they would surely write/contact the PWC to confirm the circumstances ?

    They certainly can't take it away from you without good reason and just because someone else may have made a claim isn't a good enough reason.

    Good luck getting it sorted x
  • No problems within the family - nothing. I did wonder if it could've been someone from the nursery (who would have access to my som's file), but I can't see that someone would be stupid enough to think they the child benefit office would pay out twice.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,104 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    If you consider that the time to deal with this is unacceptable then this may be useful:

    https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-complaints
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,574 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    NYM wrote: »
    I can't understand why they've suspended the CB payment. It makes no sense even if it was a genuine rival claim, they would surely write/contact the PWC to confirm the circumstances ?

    I'm surprised as well. There have been threads on here from parents who have become the 'parent with care' but have been unable to get CB because the other parent refuses to give it up.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.