We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Barclaycard cashback credit card

I am hoping to apply for the new Barclaycard cash back credit card. It has two cards. An Amex card and a Visa card for when the Amex card is not accepted. It seems that this card is only available to existing costumers. Does anyone if if this will be made available to new costumers? And if so when? I have read articles that it was going to be made available to new costumers in autumn/winter 2014 but so far no joy!

Comments

  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I doubt they will make it available to new customers as the 2 cards came into effect and they cut the cashback rate.

    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/cards/2014/03/barclaycard-revamps-its-cashback-cards-will-customers-lose-out

    If you want to know for certain, why not give them a call and ask?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Why would that mean they won't make it available to new costumers? I called into my local branch today. They didn't seem to know the card even existed!
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    It’s customers, not costumers.

    Well if they cut the rate for existing customers, I’m assuming it wasn’t very profitable for them so rather than them lost the 700k customers, they compromised with a lower rate for cashback and 2 cards, so doubt they would be extending this business model to new customers. As stated, you can always call Barclaycard customer services (0800 151 0900) and ask them yourself for a definitive answer as no-one here knows and it is all speculation.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    rburke777 wrote: »
    Why would that mean they won't make it available to new costumers? I called into my local branch today. They didn't seem to know the card even existed!

    none of us know what barclays are planning, but Barclays has a habit of taking over other CCs and then reducing their benefits and don't make the card available to new people but simply want to retain the old customers
    the twin cards you are talking about is a result of taking over the old EGG 'MONEY' card and reducing the benefits

    don't live in hope
    EU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
    some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
    EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances
  • If you've held another BarclayCard for 6 months and had the account in good standing (making payments etc), they'll consider transferring your account to their cashback card. I had a freedom rewards card for 6 months and then got transferred over.

    Apparently they're not planning to open it up to new customers at all.
    Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.

    ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.
  • Ok. Thanks for your replies
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.