Together Mutual Insurance - tell us your thoughts

Options

Comments

• Mamgu
    Options
    Had my voucher VERY quickly, but only £75.

Not complaining though.
  • rebeccadocter
    Options
    I just signed up for Combined Building & Contents insurance. Choosing max. excess means it will only cost me £5.40 once I have received my £80 M&S Voucher. It has better standard cover than my old Insurance (Direct Line) too, very pleased so far.
  • Serena_Mason
    Options
    I tried to buy a new combined buildings and contents policy by 30 November via this MSE blagged Legal & General* link by 11.59pm on 30 November to get a £70 M&S voucher but during the second stage of the online quote, when I selected on their website what type of property I had, which is a 'Purpose built flat' the message below was displayed on The Legal and General web site:

Sorry, we can't give you an online quote. Please call our customer support team on 0800 027 7161.

Lines are open: 9am - 8pm Monday to Thursday, 9am - 6pm Fridays and 9am - 5pm Saturdays.

We may record and monitor calls.

A question mark next to this when clicked advised:

Do you live in a flat?
    We offer contents insurance for flats, but we can't provide buildings insurance as this is normally the responsibility of the freeholder.

It is Sunday today so they are not open to see why this is necessary.

I live in Scotland where we are freeholders and the post code was given to Legal and General in the first stage of the quote.

So I then then tried to buy a new combined buildings and contents policy by 30 November via this MSE blagged Together Mutual* link and get an £80 M&S e-gift card but when completing their online quote page when I select 'Flat in purpose built block' as what type of property I have, only contents insurance was available to me and with no explanation as to why.

Again the phone lines are not open on Sunday for Together Mutual either.
  • Serena_Mason
    Options
    I telephoned both companies to ask why I could not complete a quote online on their websites for combined buildings and contents insurance for a purpose built flat.

The advisor I spoke to at Together Mutual said that they do not offer combined buildings and contents insurance for purpose built flats whether quoted on the telephone or online. It is not offered at all. The advisor explained that the link on MSE to click to buy combined buildings and contents insurance from Together Mutual and get an £80 M&S e-gift card is not possible if buying for a flat.

The advisor I spoke to at Legal & General said I would have to come to Legal & General direct by telephone because they are only able to quote on the telephone for combined buildings and contents insurance for a purpose built flat. The advisor explained that I would be unable to receive a quote online for combined buildings and contents insurance for my flat and so therefore would not be able to use the gift code GIFT17 to get a £70 M&S voucher.

I had quote done on phone for Legal & General just to see if competitive and it was. Churchill, the lowest comparison quote for me, beat it by a £0.72. So if I could have bought Legal & General's combined buildings and content insurance online and got a M&S voucher, then this would have swung my decision away from Churchill - who offer no gifts.

Alas I own a flat and so cannot benefit from the MSE links to gifts from either Legal & General or Together Mutual.
  • devoted
    devoted Posts: 16 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having followed MSE guidelines confused.com offered the cheapest product with my requirements. This was available from Together Mutual Insurance (TMI). Buildings and contents insurance was £84.14 plus legal cover for £20.15 giving the total annual cost of £104.29.

I then applied via MSE link (30/12/2015).

TMI website is smooth and fast. There were no delays when details of product, T&C etc opened in new windows.

The products were clearly presented. It was easy to see and select options and prices were clear.

I chose the same product that was available via confused.com for an annual total of £110.50. With the £75 M&S voucher this means I will only pay £35.50 for building and contents insurance.

I was at ease using TMI site because:

1) Clicking through from MSE, the first page explains how and when the offer will be processed. I felt confident that the offer would be applied.
    Completing the required information was straight forward using 'auto form filling'.

2) When the cursor hovers over each option, a pop up explained why it may be useful. For example, Legal Cover - ..."disputes with neighbours, disputes with trade and home services...". If one is unsure about choosing an option, the explanations give some clarity. It is not the usual practice to have this to hand.

3) After completing and acceptance of the application the 'Thank you' page explained how and when the product would be delivered and that an email would be sent with login details so that the policy can be viewed online at any time.

However, my renewal offer for my current policy with computerquoteinsurance.com is £98.26. I would have negotiated this offer had TMI not offered M&S voucher.

As always many thanks to MSE:A
  • The_Book-keeper
    Options
    I've been trying to get a quote for the past few days - even though the online form is filled in correctly, it won't let me proceed, it is saying that I need to complete my title, my first name, my surname, my DOB, my occupation. All of these have been completed ( I've done it several times) but I can't get any further. Me thinks it might be a micky mouse operation!!
  • RICHY28
    Options
    Got buildings and contents insurance for £88.00 including emergency cover less £80 M and S e voucher so great deal. Other quotes over £100 , have cancelled my Legal and General policy. Cover starts 31st January 2016. :beer:
  • Sabriski
    Sabriski Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 9 March 2016 at 6:49PM
    Options
    I signed up with Together Mutual on 5 December 2015 after clicking the link on MSE to get £75 of M&S vouchers but I've not yet received them! I did get a letter soon after signing up to ask where I was referred from on which I stated MSE and the offer of the M&S vouchers.
  • devoted
    devoted Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I had not used Together Mutual Insurance (TMI) before. With M&S £80 voucher, they offered the best price so I bought the building and contents policy. I received the voucher today after only 69 days after the policy started. One minor hitch, the voucher is for £75 not £80 as stated in the MSE link. I won't pursue the £5 due. I am happy to receive the voucher and getting it early is a bonus. I had not heard of TMI before. Processing the application was without problems. After applying online I phoned to clarify some issue. I spoke to Daniel Brant (Sales advisor). He was charming, polite and helpful. I also got a free phone number. As we all know a free phone is essential when queries have to be made and queueing times are extensive. Knowing it's a free phone reduces the stress.
    Another great plus to add to my catalogue of MSE pluses.
    Thank you all, when I met you life instantly improved.
  • Sabriski
    Sabriski Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    devoted wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I also got a free phone number. As we all know a free phone is essential when queries have to be made and queueing times are extensive.

Are you allowed to let us know that free number?

I also got my voucher today - £75 which is what I expected. Love that smug feeling I get each time I save money :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure