Theatre - how often do you go?

Options

Comments

• fizz
    fizz Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Whenever there is a new production that looks good. Tickets are about £25/35 here (Midlands) so go approx every 6 weeks. So much better than going to London.
    20p Savers Club 2013 #17 £7.80/£120.00
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,644 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 3 April 2015 at 8:03PM
    Options
    Once a month
    I wish I could go more but it's always so pricey :( I know in NY they have a discount box office for the west end - does anyone know if we have something like that in the capital?

Try the Young Vic, some stunning productions and way below west end prices. You can even get a reasonably priced meal in the attached Cut bar.

Last time we went was to see A Streetcare Named Desire with Gillian Anderson and bought top price tickets at £35 but they aim to get a lot of young people through the door so tickets are available for £10.

We are going back in August to see Rory Kinnear in The Trial, and again tickets £10-35.

I would also recommend the National Theatre.
  • barbarawright
    barbarawright Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Check out Lastminute.com - there are always plenty of £15 tickets for *something*. Plus lots of fringe theatres have membership schemes where you can see 6 shows for the price of 4 or something like that. Lots more to London theatre than the over-priced West End (and even in the WE, you can get discounts for most shows)
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Once a month
    Day tickets are cheaper, there are also often reduced price tickets available for the first few performances on a run (press night / nights)

Prices are often slightly cheaper mid week than on Fri / Sat evenings

Musicals - you may be able to get cheaper tickets on the day, or to buy tickets for the cheap seats and get moved to better seats at the theatre, depending on how busy it is.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Philis_Burrell
    Options
    At least if there is a good movie showing. :)
  • SandieB_2
    SandieB_2 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Once every 6 months
    I don't go as often as I would like. Usually because of the cost (London!) and being a bit fussy I like to sit in the good seats not up in the gods!
    I've been a couple of times recently though with special offers from Time Out magazine...almost half price tickets for Madam Butterfly at the Royal Albert Hall, and also for the 39 Steps at the Criterian, Piccadilly Circus....hilarious by the way, and well worth seeing! You have to leave it to the theatre to seat you, but we were in the front row of the stalls for Madame Butterfly and only a few rows back for th 39 steps.

You have to sign up for their emails I think to get the offers.
  • Numpty69
    Numpty69 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Once a year
    I go through spells of going. Ive averaged it out
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Never
    Never been. Sounds dull and expensive. I'm not aware of knowing anybody who's been/goes either.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,843 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Once every couple of months
    Given that we're talking about a medium that covers such diverse experiences as seeing stand up comedians, pantomimes, serious drama, music, whodunnits, farces, musicals, dance, opera, one man shows, etc etc,

to simply come up with a statement such as ...
    Never been. Sounds dull and expensive.

... shows a lack of imagination that surpasses even my other half at his most grumpy!
  • barbarawright
    barbarawright Posts: 1,846 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    Given that we're talking about a medium that covers such diverse experiences as seeing stand up comedians, pantomimes, serious drama, music, whodunnits, farces, musicals, dance, opera, one man shows, etc etc,

to simply come up with a statement such as ...

... shows a lack of imagination that surpasses even my other half at his most grumpy!

And it certainly doesn't need to be expensive. I rarely spend more than £15 and i see about 60 shows a year
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure