Theatre - how often do you go?

Options

Comments

• stockton_2
    Options
    Once every 6 months
    Go to London once or twice a year. In January saw two shows; Miss Saigon and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. We like happy shows that give you a lift, not weepy, depressing ones.

Also we now only book first or second price tickets, if they are affordable. If you are going to a show do it properly, no more sitting in cheap cramped seats with no leg-room

It is good to have a forum where the Theatre is discussed. We don't mind seeing the lesser known (and cheaper) productions but you need some information to make an informed choice.

Having said that people's tastes differ enormously. We thought Miss Saigon was depressing but some of our friends loved it. I guess some people are not happy unless they are sobbing copiously.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Once a month
    I saw nothing in January, but three things in Feb all at our local theatre.

March is down for one visit and three in April, so actually I go more often than there is an option for.

So far have seen an operetta, a play and the Swinging Cotton Club, which was about the famous Cotton Club in Harlem - excellent show with singers, live band and some very energetic dancers.
  • vqmismatch
    Options
    Every few years
    Once every few years.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Once every 3 or so months
    I normally go three or four times a year.

It used to be to the West End, but it has got so expensive. Now we go to regional theatres, mostly the Marlowe at Canterbury.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Poundshoplover
    Options
    Once every couple of months
    I go as often as I can as love musicals, opera, ballet and drama. Went twice in January up London but do find it very expensive. I regularly go to local theatres too. I would love to know when tickets have been discounted.
  • AubreyMac
    AubreyMac Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Once every 6 months
    I only go a couple of times a year maximum.

An each time I go I always get the premium seat tickets which, on average costs me about £100.

Yes I know that is a lot but I am petite and want guaranteed good views.

I've paid for cheap seats before and each time it has been less than satisfactory. One time I paid £25 to see a comedian and the seat was so far back I would have got a better view had I watched it on tv at home! Another time I paid £25 I was so much to the side and someone taller in front blocked my view completely.

I don't feel that going for the cheap seats and being grumpy about the lack of views is an enjoyable night out. If anything, it is a waste of my time and I then feel even more disgruntled at paying for the bus fare there and back.

Pay for the premium price to be right on centre and about 4/5 rows back then I am guaranteed to enjoy is far worth it and more MSE in my opinion. You get what you pay for really.
  • elantan
    elantan Posts: 21,018 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Once a month
    we go atleast once a month but try and go more often, have an ATG card which gets us in discounted,
  • catkins
    catkins Posts: 5,703 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Once every couple of months
    I love going to the theatre, both local and in London. I like musicals and proper plays although you don't get so many of them in London.

So far this year I have seen Thriller, Cats and Dance till Dawn. That is more than normal though - I guess it would normally be once every 6 weeks or so. I would go more if I could afford to. I do like to have reasonable seats but do try and get discounted ones if possible. I got 2 tickets for Dance till Dawn and they were second row from the front in the stalls - they should have been £60 each and I got them for £30 each (I think because I only bought them about a week before the show ended so they were selling them off).

I do Consumer Pulse (inputting any purchases of clothes, books, cds, cinema visits etc) and use my vouchers to get theatre tickets.
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
  • barbarawright
    Options
    Two or three times a month though that doesn't seem to be an option. I almost never pay full price though
  • Gizmo-macca
    Options
    I go when I get free tickets. Had a bunch before Christmas (Made in Dagenham, Great Britain, Sunny Afternoon, Nevilles Island), one of the benefits of living near London (although the higher rents here kind of negate that advantage in truth).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure