We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

First time credit card.

Hello, I am 21 and I have never had a credit card. I have had 2 phone contracts out before and have never missed a payment, as a result my Credit score is a 998.
I am wanting a 0% credit card if possible but I'm wanting the best choices available, What are your suggestions? I did a soft credit search and was only 60% chance of being accepted.

Many Thanks
K

Comments

  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    The soft search isn't a guaranteed indicator of acceptance or decline, only way you can find out is by actually applying. Have a look at the link below and decide which card best fits your purpose.

    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/best-0-credit-cards?_ga=1.190497323.1063870239.1423562985
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Paully232000
    Paully232000 Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    edited 10 February 2015 at 3:53PM
    Lurist wrote: »
    Hello, I am 21 and I have never had a credit card. I have had 2 phone contracts out before and have never missed a payment, as a result my Credit score is a 998.
    I am wanting a 0% credit card if possible but I'm wanting the best choices available, What are your suggestions? I did a soft credit search and was only 60% chance of being accepted.

    Many Thanks
    K

    I would suggest that you contact your bank first to see if they will offer you a CC, as with such a limited credit history you may struggle to get another card. With the exception of possibly credit builder cards like Aqua (but do pay them off in full at the end of the month).

    Why do you want a 0% card, for purchases? You may struggle to get offers like this , again, due to your limited use of credit.

    look at this section here
    What's the best card to rebuild my score?

    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/bad-credit-credit-cards
  • MrJester
    MrJester Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would suggest that you contact your bank first to see if they will offer you a CC, as with such a limited credit history you may struggle to get another card. With the exception of possibly credit builder cards like Aqua (but do pay them off in full at the end of the month).

    Why do you want a 0% card, for purchases? You may struggle to get offers like this , again, due to your limited use of credit.

    look at this section here
    What's the best card to rebuild my score?

    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/bad-credit-credit-cards

    Bear in mind credit cards with your bank can be risky (for things like if you owe them money on the credit card, they can take money to pay for it from your bank account without asking)
  • I am wanting to use the card to pay for a holiday (or part of) and I can't afford it in one lump sum.
    If I had a 0% CC I could pay the balance in the 0% allotted time frame.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.