We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
3 credit cards,what shall i do?
thares07
Posts: 17 Forumite
in Credit cards
I currently have 3 credit cards with 3 different company's. They have 3 different credit limits one has 5700,another 4300 and last 4800. The last one I've just been advised will be increased to 7800 at end off me month. Shall I let the increases happen or keep them lower (what helps with getting other credit?). We have been trying to get a loan for an extension for past year,we keep getting denied but these company keeps putting up credit on cards. Can someoneexplain how tthis works also please.
0
Comments
-
The way it works is as a rule of thumb two ratios have to remain below ~50%:
(total credit available)/(income)
(total credit used)/(total credit available)
As you can see higher credit limit has contradictory effect on these two ratios - depending on other factors.0 -
The way it works is as a rule of thumb two ratios have to remain below ~50%:
(total credit available)/(income)
(total credit used)/(total credit available)
As you can see higher credit limit has contradictory effect on these two ratios - depending on other factors.
Interesting rule of thumb. Is 'income' per annum?0 -
Yes..........0
-
What would be the best thing for me to do. I don't used the credit cards so don't see why they would keep upping them or to the point in me having them as the available credit is having an adverse effect.0
-
Or would I be a negative to lower them.0
-
What would be the best thing for me to do. I don't used the credit cards so don't see why they would keep upping them or to the point in me having them as the available credit is having an adverse effect.
If you have no need for them - close them. Or perhaps keep one and lower the limit, assuming that all 3 cards are empty and don't have balances on them?
As you've found out, too much available credit is detrimental to obtaining further credit (being declined for loan).
The reason the card companies keep upping the limits is because they hope you will start to spend on them and incur interest, thus making them money.
If you close any/all of the cards, wait at least 3 months and obtain copies of your credit reports to make sure that the accounts are showing in the settled section of your accounts.I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards