We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Credit help needed please!
ashecorven
Posts: 13 Forumite
in Credit cards
Born in Australia but have always had a British passport. I'm a home owner, have considerable savings and income from both - all in Australia. Good credit there also.
Moved to the U.K. two years ago, opened a basic account with Barclays as that's all I needed.
Early last year, I applied for a Halifax clarity card when I was earning well into the 40% tax bracket and was rejected. Quite surprised, I went in store immediately afterwards and was told to apply there as the online application didn't take overseas addresses correctly. The application went through, and apparently wasn't rejected but blocked as the online one had already been rejected.
I quit the job and am now travelling overseas, and last month I applied for a TSB Classic Current Account and was again rejected.
Created accounts with Experian and CMF.
Can't find anything bad on my file with Experian and the score is listed as good (low 900's).
Nothing bad listed in my account my CMF either.
I've read MSE's piece on not reading into credit scores but CMF was quite different compared to Experian. CMF shows Callcredit and Equifax as just under 700 (2 stars) but the main thing of note is the application score being just under 600. Which I find surprising as those above are the only two applications I've made.
I understand my problem is a lack of credit history not bad credit as I've never failed to pay a bill on time, etc.
However, now that I'm not working and want to open an account as an interest earner it seems impossible. MSE's credit card eligibility calculator shows 0% for everything listed.
Advice, insight, criticism, relief, all welcome.
Moved to the U.K. two years ago, opened a basic account with Barclays as that's all I needed.
Early last year, I applied for a Halifax clarity card when I was earning well into the 40% tax bracket and was rejected. Quite surprised, I went in store immediately afterwards and was told to apply there as the online application didn't take overseas addresses correctly. The application went through, and apparently wasn't rejected but blocked as the online one had already been rejected.
I quit the job and am now travelling overseas, and last month I applied for a TSB Classic Current Account and was again rejected.
Created accounts with Experian and CMF.
Can't find anything bad on my file with Experian and the score is listed as good (low 900's).
Nothing bad listed in my account my CMF either.
I've read MSE's piece on not reading into credit scores but CMF was quite different compared to Experian. CMF shows Callcredit and Equifax as just under 700 (2 stars) but the main thing of note is the application score being just under 600. Which I find surprising as those above are the only two applications I've made.
I understand my problem is a lack of credit history not bad credit as I've never failed to pay a bill on time, etc.
However, now that I'm not working and want to open an account as an interest earner it seems impossible. MSE's credit card eligibility calculator shows 0% for everything listed.
Advice, insight, criticism, relief, all welcome.
0
Comments
-
You understanding is correct.ashecorven wrote: »...I understand my problem is a lack of credit history not bad credit
What history do you actually see in your credit files?
Do you mean the the interest is your only income? Is it really that big?However, now that I'm not working and want to open an account as an interest earner it seems impossible. MSE's credit card eligibility calculator shows 0% for everything listed.
Last year you should have applied for some sub-prime card to build some history first, not for Clarity. Don't know if it's worth doing now. Possibly, it's too late.Advice, insight, criticism, relief, all welcome.0 -
You understanding is correct.
What history do you actually see in your credit files?
I only see the checks from my two applications, nothing else.Do you mean the the interest is your only income? Is it really that big?
Interest is not my only income, would really be struggling if it were. I was meaning that I'd like to open a high-interest account so my cash isn't just sitting there doing nothing.Last year you should have applied for some sub-prime card to build some history first, not for Clarity. Don't know if it's worth doing now. Possibly, it's too late.
What do you recommend for the current situation?0 -
So did you actually get the Clarity card in the end or not?
What is showing up being reported on your credit report? i.e any bank accounts, cards, loans, mobile phone companies?
If you are travelling overseas now I'm assuming you no longer have a UK address? In which case, you would get rejected in any event. Unless you still have a UK base which you can visit to pick up post etc in which case you would need to apply for credit building cards such as Vanquis and Capital One.I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com0 -
when you apply for credit
-what do you say your income is
-what do you say your job is
-what address do you giveEU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances0 -
Well, if credit searches is your only 'history', do something to build one.ashecorven wrote: »I only see the checks from my two applications, nothing else.
....
What do you recommend for the current situation?
Any CC (even a subprime one), and account with overdraft, a store card, a mobile contract (even sim-only) - all they positively contribute to the history if used correctly. Make sure that you are registered on the electoral roll.
A current account has to be easier to get. If rejected, try appealing to find out the reason of rejection.Interest is not my only income, would really be struggling if it were. I was meaning that I'd like to open a high-interest account so my cash isn't just sitting there doing nothing.0 -
Hey gents, sorry about the delay, have been staying in places without wifi recently.
@Candyapple
I was unsuccessful with Halifax, so did not receive the card.
All that is shown apart from the checks from the two applications is my basic bank account. I have not had any loans or phone contracts (or need of them).
Fortunately have a UK base that I can use, but the MSE credit card eligibility checker shows 0% for credit building cards.
@CLAPTON
For the TSB account I stated that my income is 0 (as the application asked about UK income), job as unemployed (and give the same address that I'm enrolled to vote. Was different when I applied for the Halifax as I was still working and enrolled to vote at another address.
@grumbler
Was on the electoral roll well before applying for the TSB account.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards