Options
13»

Comments

• Ladyshopper
    Ladyshopper Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    KA87 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for your help, I've had a good look on the internet and been informed I should first contact Action Fraud to get a crime ref number then contact the relevant debt companies or else they will not listen to you.

Hopefully with my ex going back to GA and starting counselling again along with good character references, he will only get a suspended sentence or caution.

You need to contact Action Fraud, and you will be given something called an NFRC number (its the equivalent of a crime number). You can do this online, and fill out the form, or phone them. They will then send the details to the relevant police force, which will be the one your husband lives in.

You could contact the police direct, as technically this falls into the category of "a call for service" as you know the offender and they live locally. It may speed things up, but only slightly, or they may just refer you back to Action Fraud.

You can try contacting each loan company separately. However, what generally happens is that once you report to them that the loan has been taken out fraudulently in your name, they will refuse to give you any further details (I'm a police officer and work in fraud, have dealt with similar jobs hence how I know this!). This is because as someone else said, they become the victim, as they are the ones who have lost the money.

However, once it gets to the investigating officer, they can contact each loan company and send them a signed disclosure of information form, and they will provide all the details to the police.

Getting a copy of your credit record might be a good idea, as it will show all the searches (so will show attempts as well as successful loans taken out). CIFAS, as someone else pointed out, is very good, and something we recommend to people. Basically it puts a note on your files telling financial institutions that if a financial product is applied for in your name, they need to make extra checks to ensure its genuine.

Sadly this is all to common a story, and is very difficult for all involved.

If you need any more info please feel free to PM me - I don't usually come onto this board, so was just by chance I saw this tonight.
  • Jeff_winter
    Options
    KA - All the best with you situation. You are doing the right thing by asking questions and not dealing with this alone.
    I have sympathy with all parties especially you and your son and you are doing the right thing by taking this route.
    All the best for the future
    By gambling we lose both our time and treasure:
    two things most precious to the life of man.

Original Debt total £28591.50 :mad:

Current Debt total £24646.80 :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills