»

Good batch cooking ideas please

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

Good batch cooking ideas please

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
23 replies 9.5K views
MrsMarineMrsMarine
14 posts
Forumite
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
So as the title says basically,

I am due to start maternity leave in a couple weeks and I aim to batch cook and freeze a good selection of meals for me and hubby for after baby has arrived but need some inspiration of what to cook up please.

My initial thoughts are Bolognese, Chicken curry, and Chilli but have run out of ideas, if you could help suggest some and maybe some recipes for cheap batches that would be great!

Thanks
xx

Replies

• Also thinking of dessert ideas, hubby loves cakes etc so would I be able to make up some cupcakes or cookies to freeze? Would they survive?
  • Linda32Linda32
    4.4K posts
    Forumite
    Yes cakes freeze fine, leave off any filling from sponges and freeze these. Ice when you defrost. Fruit cakes freeze as well.
  • Mrs Ramseys Lemon Drizzle Cake freezes brilliantly. I make it into buns and freeze them individually.

Banana muffins/bread also freeze really well and can be jazzed up with choc chips.
  • CT19720CT19720
    1.5K posts
    Forumite
    HM meatballs in a tomato, onion and red pepper sauce. Portion it up into smaller amounts once cooked. I can usually get 25 meatballs from 500g of beef mince.

Jumbalya - mushrooms, peppers, onions, peas, sweetcorn, rice, choritzo, cooked chicken, gammon, prawns. I alway make loads and then freeze some in portions. You just need to make sure that you cook everything including the rice thoroughly before serving.

I'd do crumbles for puddings - cook the fruit down, and then divide into individual portions topped with crumble mix - I have quite a few individual enamal dishes so usually make 8 crumbles at a time. I also have 2 freezers so space isn't a problem.
    2016 is the year I am going to find time for me, and cherish the time I spend with my friends and family.
    It is also time to save - Aim £4,000 - So far this year - £230/£4,000
  • FlossFloss
    5K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pasta bake, shepherds/cottage pie, fish pie (mash or pastry top ;)), casseroles.

Crumbles, cake (slices), frozen cookies in dollops or rolls for slicing.
  • kayakaya
    2.5K posts
    Forumite
    i usually make a huge batch of mince with some veggies in in a sauce and use between 5 and 1kg of mince, you can always use some pork mince mixed in with lamb or beef as a moneysaver, it can easily be turned into chilli, shepherds pie and bolognaise by adding some different spices and herbs or a few kidney beans, otherwise currys always taste better second time around, some nice slow cooked meat stews maybe? i think somebody has already mentioned fish pie :-)
  • You can freeze twinks biscuits and they are delicious. Good luck with the baby :)
    GC Mar 11 £437.08Apr 11 £459.26 May 11 £485.52 June 11 £423.79July 11 £409.22 Aug 11 £250.10Sept 11 £396.14Oct 11 £382.37Nov 11 £372.55Dec 11 £332.29 Jan 12 £375.19:Feb 12 £349.58Mar 12 £279.66Apr 12 £249.12May 12 £337.66/Jun 12 £362.58/Jul 12 £317.03/Aug 12 £354.02/Sept £439.72/Oct 12 £210.16
  • you have had lots of ideas on what to cook - can I suggest you invest in loads of foil containers? different shapes and sizes? then you can cook two extra portions of your normal meals and dish them out in the right size container, put the lid on (and don't forget to write the contents on the lid, unless you like complete surprises at mealtimes). then you can just bung them in the oven. saves on washing up and TIME - and time is what you will find most precious after baby is born.

and good luck with new baby! oh and don't forget - you can do the same for baby when you start weaning - much cheaper than those fancy jar meals!
  • edited 5 February 2015 at 8:35PM
    JILJIL
    6.5K posts
    Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 February 2015 at 8:35PM
    I make a big vat of steak pie filling and decant into small tin foil dishes.
    using ready rolled fresh pastry i cut round the lid of the tin foil dish and freeze the pastry in "lids"

i then defrost the pie and put the lid on top and bake in the oven. Quick and easy.

I freeze batches of cauliflower cheese in foil dishes to put in the oven as a side dish, also make a big bag of frozen mushy peas and freeze them.
    ratatouille freezes well and makes a good pasta sauce or vegi lasagne filling.

edited to say: cant believe Meritaten has just suggested foil dishes, just as i am typing about foil dishes. I bought 20 for £1 in asda yesterday.
  • edited 5 February 2015 at 9:02PM
    meritatenmeritaten PPR
    24.2K posts
    edited 5 February 2015 at 9:02PM
    JIL wrote: »
    I make a big vat of steak pie filling and decant into small tin foil dishes.
    using ready rolled fresh pastry i cut round the lid of the tin foil dish and freeze the pastry in "lids"

i then defrost the pie and put the lid on top and bake in the oven. Quick and easy.

I freeze batches of cauliflower cheese in foil dishes to put in the oven as a side dish, also make a big bag of frozen mushy peas and freeze them.
    ratatouille freezes well and makes a good pasta sauce or vegi lasagne filling.

edited to say: cant believe Meritaten has just suggested foil dishes, just as i am typing about foil dishes. I bought 20 for £1 in asda yesterday.

ROFL! we must be Psychic 'Twins'!
    I usually get my foil dishes in the pound shop - but that's a good deal in asda isn't it?

AND I like to make extra pie filling and its no trouble to make a pie lid from the 'scraps' when making a pastry dish. you can freeze the pastry lids between sheets of baking paper and just remove one when you fancy a pie for supper.
    btw - its not being 'superorganised' its because I am basically lazy!