Easyjet cancelled flight

Options
i had a cancelled flight with Easyjet in August last year and they have now agreed 500 euros compensation for me and my grandaughter. I had taken the flight from Gatwick but they flew us back to Manchester where i hired a car and drove to Gatwick to pick my own car up.

Are they liable for the hire car and diesel? Surely they have a duty of care to return us to the airport we flew out from?

Easyjet are saying that they are not liable and that the 250 euros each covers they hire car charge

Are they right?

Thanks

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Should be on the Easyjet flight but much will depend on what was agreed on the day. If you were offered a flight to Manchester and accepted it, did you confirm that you would be reimbursed for additional expenses to get back to Gatwick. Were there others in the same situation, did Easyjet offer any transportation (coaches etc) when was the next Gatwick flight that they could have got you on? - they would have been liable for expenses whilst you waited for it

I had a cancelled flight to Edinburgh the other week. The options were, stay in hotel at the airlines expense and travel the next day or choose to go to Glasgow. There was no onwards transport arranged. If I had wanted to make sure I was reimbursed for the onward travel, the time to do it (and get it in writing) would have been before I agreed to take the flight but it was ultimately my choice to go to a different airport (my cancellation was due to forecasted weather so no comp)
  • valt99
    Options
    thanks for the reply.

The flight was cancelled on the Tuesday night and they put us up in a hotel. There were no flights available to Gatwick till the Friday so we were offered Manchester, Southend or Bristol. They said that they would refund the travel back to Gatwick but i didnt get it in writing. There were loads in the same situation and no onward travel was arranged. We were told to get ourselves back to Gatwick and they would reimburse.

Now they are saying that they are not liable and i dont see how they can worm out of it.

thanks for your response though. I travel all the time with work and with easyjet too!
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    valt99 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply.

The flight was cancelled on the Tuesday night and they put us up in a hotel. There were no flights available to Gatwick till the Friday so we were offered Manchester, Southend or Bristol. They said that they would refund the travel back to Gatwick but i didnt get it in writing. There were loads in the same situation and no onward travel was arranged. We were told to get ourselves back to Gatwick and they would reimburse.

Now they are saying that they are not liable and i dont see how they can worm out of it.

I think you now need to go back and be factual...
    Flight cancelled, alternative Gatwick flight Friday which would have been another 2 nights at their expense
    Was advised at the airport that travel back to Gatwick would be reimbursed and, on that basis, took the option to travel when you did
    good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport