Feather/down duvets and pillows?

Options
Hi, getting new duvet and pillows before sales finish.
Have always had synthetic (aka hollowfibre I think) duvets and pillows but considering feather/down.

Anyone used/uses feather duvets and pillows and notices and particular differences, advantages/disadvantages etc compared to the standard ones.

(I had heard that feather duvets are less likely to make you overheat at night which is what was making me consider it.)

There's so many brands and 'models' to choose from...

Comments

• Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    cazs wrote: »
    Hi, getting new duvet and pillows before sales finish.
    Have always had synthetic (aka hollowfibre I think) duvets and pillows but considering feather/down.

Anyone used/uses feather duvets and pillows and notices and particular differences, advantages/disadvantages etc compared to the standard ones.

(I had heard that feather duvets are less likely to make you overheat at night which is what was making me consider it.)

There's so many brands and 'models' to choose from...

I prefer down duvets because with feather and down duvets, the feathers make a bid for freedom and the sharp quill ends, end up sticking in you like needles.:D

I buy goose down duvets. It's like sleeping under a light fluffy cloud. One tip I would offer is, make sure the duvet is the cassette boxes type:

Cassette boxes made with baffle walls ensure filling is safely contained and cannot move around the duvet. Cheaper duvets may be stitched through from top to bottom - this leads to 'cold spots' where the top and bottom meet without any filling.

I can't stand soft pillows, I always buy synthetic, so I can't offer any comments on feather pillows.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • Snakey
    Snakey Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    I bought some feather pillows last year for the first time and I love them. They were only the cheap ones (just in case I didn't love them) and I can't remember what the materials/mix was. They mould to fit my head so nicely, and get their shape back with a good whack. Once in a blue moon I get a random sharp bit of feather poking through, shake it out a bit and it vanishes again.

I'm definitely going to upgrade my duvet to feathers when the time comes for a new one.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yep they are great, feels so light and you don't overheat
  • babe-ruth
    Options
    Apparently sheep wool duvet & pillows are supposed to be good if you get hot in bed. I have light weight (3tog I think) feather duvet and it's all I need all year round although I know we're all different. I Friend of mine just bought sheep wool pillow and says she's never slept so good, just sayin
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 January 2015 at 12:54PM
    Options
    I love feather and down or down duvets for their 'drape'. Lay in bed and with a synthetic one and you get gaps down your sides - it forms a tent shape over you. Feather/down ones cover you and drape down your sides so feel much snugglier. Hope people know what I mean - hard to explain!

We have a 10tog in winter and a light (3tog I think) in summer but both are feather and down.

I actually prefer synthetic pillows as I find they hold their shape better over time, and I like thick pillows.
  • babe-ruth
    Options
    Ha ha pinkteapot, I know exactly what you mean by 'drape'. I have tried to explain this before but no one seems to know what Im talking about
  • sniggings
    sniggings Posts: 5,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    had both, down was too light, I like a bit of weight to a duvet.
    I also had a down pillow and couldn't use it, having your head sink into a pillow sounds good but it wasn't, felt horrible.

I really don't think you need to go for down or wool for a decent duvet, a good quality duvet will be fine.

Don't make the mistake of thinking the more you spend the better you will get.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,529 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Just swapped a down duvet for wool and it is much better. Despite it appearing to be far too thin it is very warm and also very light. Getting it in a duvet cover is far easier than a bulky down duvet.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    babe-ruth wrote: »
    Ha ha pinkteapot, I know exactly what you mean by 'drape'. I have tried to explain this before but no one seems to know what Im talking about

I know exactly what you're talking about too. We have a synthetic duvet and at times I'm found tucking it under myself to warm my back up (other times I'm found sticking a leg out cos I'm too hot so I'm a bit like goldilocks when it comes to bedtime I guess :rotfl:)
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• motherbored21
    Options
    Cotton, silk or even merino wool. Great for temperature controlling.

And no dust mite problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport