Car Reg clones

Options
I'm so so annoyed

Came home today to a letter from a solicitor stating they are chasing unpaid parking tickets - I've checked the details and it definitely wasn't me. Rang the solicitors and explained I'd never even been to the area (didn't even know where it was! had to google it!)

They weren't very helpful and were insisting they had "proof" of me being there. I've asked them to send it to me

Anyway, talking to a friend and they suggested I call the police - I spoke to someone on 101 and they are sending an officer round tomorrow, stated it sounds like my reg has been cloned. They are putting a "mark" on my car - so I guess that means ill be pulled over every time I pass a police car (which, driving through the city every day is probably going to be a daily occurrence!)

But what happens with regards to the ticket? I've already said it wasn't me, and I have the police reference number to give, plus if needed I have an "alibi" for the night in question. But is that enough proof it isn't me?!

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,636 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Make sure you get a photo of your car now as proof.

Get copies of their evidence to be able to compare. Gather any proof where you were at the time they are alleging you to be in a location.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rather than cloning, it may be as simple as someone having entered their number wrongly or maliciously in a machine.

Who issued the ticket and what debt collector is involved - Your description has all the hallmarks of a private operator.

If this is the case, you need to also read the Newbies Sticky in the Parking Tickets Forum so you are prepared if they continue to ignore you - and TBH, it is quite possible as facts and even proof actually mean very little to these guys but the proven methods discussed in the sticky should get them off your back. :)
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    Make sure you get a photo of your car now as proof.

Get copies of their evidence to be able to compare. Gather any proof where you were at the time they are alleging you to be in a location.

Well luckily the date in question - I was at work until 1pm, picked my DD1 from school at 3:20pm, then DD2 from nursery at 6pm and then we went to a friends birthday party at 6:30pm. "my" car was photo'd 2 and a half hours away at 7pm - Its a ford focus, not a DeLorean
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    Rather than cloning, it may be as simple as someone having entered their number wrongly or maliciously in a machine.

Who issued the ticket and what debt collector is involved - Your description has all the hallmarks of a private operator.

If this is the case, you need to also read the Newbies Sticky in the Parking Tickets Forum so you are prepared if they continue to ignore you - and TBH, it is quite possible as facts and even proof actually mean very little to these guys but the proven methods discussed in the sticky should get them off your back. :)

The solicitor I spoke to said they had pictures of "me" leaving the car park on CCTV (Which should be interesting as I know 100% they don't)

Will look on the sticky though just in case
  • pogofish
    edited 29 January 2015 at 10:27PM
    Options
    The solicitor I spoke to

Was it really a solicitor?

Plenty Private Parking Companies (PPCs) have form for using fake solicitors or debt collectors (often wholly-owned) who will also masquerade as solicitors or court-appointed bailiffs when it suits them.

Which is why its important to tell us who issued the ticket and who claims to be acting for them (no personal or vehicle-identifying details though). We may well have seen them many times before and know their MO intimately.

Photos also mean next to nothing as far as private parking goes, other than as a stick to beat the unwary/uninformed - even in legit parking they are the very bottom of the evidential food chain.
  • Spicy_McHaggis
    Options
    A solicitor is chasing the debt?

Let them prove its you then, the police will be unable to do much until you have evidence the car has been cloned.

Is the other vehicle also a Ford Focus?
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Mimi_Arc_en_ciel Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 January 2015 at 10:31PM
    Options
    Its a solicitor called Trethowans on behalf of Bolton NHS (I thought it was odd but maybe that's the norm with it being NHS? They said they had written me letter - I've just recently moved, completely forgot to change V5 so letters must have gone to old address, I got this one by chance - And I'm updating V5 tomorrow. Completely forgot about it, have changed license though!) It says ive missed the "reduced" cut off point and that if I don't pay money within 14 days they will take me to court.

The details on the letter match my card (Same make, model, colour, reg)

I didn't even know where Bolton was lol Only heard of is because of Vernon Kay :rofl:
  • pogofish
    edited 30 January 2015 at 12:00AM
    Options
    Its a solicitor called Trethowans on behalf of Bolton NHS

Ahh - So it is a real solicitor. Albeit one known for sloppy court failures that often end-up costing the Trusts concerned even more money.

OK, so you need to stop talking to the monkeys who are only interested in getting money off you and put together a blistering complaint to the organ grinder - namely the CEO of the Trust concerned, who has the authority to have them cancel it completely. Going through PALS has also proved a viable option for many - although as you are not a patient, I'd suggest going higher! ;)

However, before you do that, you should have a good read of the "Successful complaints about private parking tickets - how to get them cancelled!" sticky and have a good search of the Parking Tickets Forum for recent (last year or so) threads on Trethowans - you will find plenty to guide you there! :D
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    pogofish wrote: »
    Ahh - So it is a real solicitor. Albeit one known for sloppy court failures that often end-up costing the Trusts concerned even more money.

OK, so you need to stop talking to the monkeys who are only interested in getting money off you and put together a blistering complaint to the organ grinder - namely the CEO of the Trust concerned, who has the authority to have them cancel it completely. Going through PALS has also proved a viable option for many - although as you are not a patient, I'd suggest going higher! ;)

However, before you do that, you should have a good read of the "Successful complaints about private parking tickets - how to get them cancelled!" sticky and have a good search of the Parking Tickets Forum for recent (last year or so) threads on Trethowans - you will find plenty to guide you there! :D

Literally the only conversation I had was "send me proof then" - the police told me to call them with the incident number tomorrow

Where would I get the trust details? NHS web? (Sorry am on mobile so difficult to just Google that answer)

I'll pronly try the CEO but as they have 'proof' will they really listen to me when I dispute it?

And I'll read the thread tomorrow - going to bed now but thank you for your info
  • gilbert_and_sullivan
    Options
    Have you actually seen their proof.
    I had a PCN recently from some supermarket parasite parking company for somewhere i've never been, checked the picture evidence on their website, there was a different car entirely, complete with reg number one digit out clear as can be.

I let them stew for a few months till they put it in the hands of a debt collector who sent various threatening letters, hopefully cost them a good few quid by now, then after another few weeks, phoned them and asked them to view the picture...still waiting for the apology, breath not held.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure