Window solutions and traffic noise

Options
I've been advised my query may be better in this section so here it is:-

So our new house is on a 30mph road. It's set back from the road by a driveway. The front room windows upstairs have double glazed windows and then secondary glazing.

The bay window in the lounge has double glazed upvc windows. Not sure how old but seem to be in relatively good condition but may want new ones at some point.

We've only been in since Monday but I am struggling with the traffic noise at certain times. When we viewed we couldn't really notice it. I guess it's not until you are sitting down of an evening that you realise it.
There are just blinds up at the moment but I am wondering what options I have for noise reduction?

It is also noticeable in the hall through the front door, we have a curtain up there which helps a little bit.

My other half is going to get some new window and door seals at the weekend as he thinks some of them good do with replacing.

I want to get a thermal linked curtain for them, I thought that may help slightly?

What else can we do? I suggested secondary glazing as it seems to be effective upstairs but OH says it would be expensive and he would prefer to spend the money on new windows?

Any helpful advice appreciated.

Comments

• bexs2247
    bexs2247 Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone got any ideas?
  • motherbored21
    Options
    Bay or bow window?

Bow may have just wooden sill at the bottom and a lead/fibreglass canopy at the top. Cold and noisy!

Bay window may not have enough insulation in the wall part plus roof canopy.

Ask neighbours with similar properties.

I have a bow atm, want to replace with a normal, flat window.

Bay window? Re-build?
  • motherbored21
    Options
    OH suggests expanding foam into roof cavity and thick cushion type foam on sill and curtains for the time being.

Are the rubber seals ok, or are there breaks from shrinkage at all? Could be replaced?
  • Possom
    Possom Posts: 433 Forumite
    Options
    You can get soundproof glazing which I'm informed is very expensive.

Alternatively, and more cheaply, you can get double glazing which is laminate and a float and apparently this helps to disrupt sound waves.
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    You say its set back from the road on a driveway - what have you got on the road boundary? You often can't put a fence on the road boundary but you can grow a hedge which will help absorb the noise.

A thick curtain will help but given time you'll tune it out. I once lived in a building that was built on top of a railway tunnel - for the first few weeks the heavy goods train that went through in the middle of the night woke me without fail - after that I never heard it.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • bexs2247
    Options
    It's a bay window. OH is going to replace the seals and see if that helps. We don't have cavity wall insulation so will be getting that done too (not sure if that helps with noise). The boundary on the road just has a wall and one kinda tree. I did notice other houses on the road have bigger trees or bushes. These could take years to grow big enough though couldn't they?

Hopefully we will get a curtain at the weekend.

At the minute though it's making me feel very upset and like we've made a mistake in buying it ����
  • martin57
    martin57 Posts: 774 Forumite
    edited 29 January 2015 at 7:52PM
    Options
    I had this problem once in London. it will get easier over time, but I put in secondary glazing on a wooden bay window from a kit I got at b and q, and got the glass. I got a joiner to do it.

here are the steps

1 put an extra wooden frame around inside of winow, just buy the lengths of wood.
    2 make up the secondary glazing putting in the glass make sure that if you do buy the kit buy one what will allow you to open bay window.
    3 attach to wooden frame.

once finished it will cut down noise but not completely rather like opening a door.

One important thing is for secondary glazing there must be a good space of maybe 3-4 inches between the window and secondary glazing.

Worked out ok for me in bedroom. Never did living room, just got used to it over time, and I would consider myself a very sensitive person to noise
    Martin57
  • bexs2247
    Options
    My OH doesn't seem too keen on putting secondary glazing in at the moment. He wants to see if new deals and cavity wall insulation do anything or if I just will get used too it. He's not even keen on getting some curtains to put up which is something I desperately want to do and think might help even if it's just psychological.

To be fair, we only moved in Monday and he's been at work the past 2 days and I'm back at work tomorrow so maybe we will sort a few bits out at the weekend.

I'm just finding it very hard to settle. Luckily the bedroom is at the back of the house so it doesn't disturb sleep
  • martin57
    martin57 Posts: 774 Forumite
    Options
    bexs2247 wrote: »
    My OH doesn't seem too keen on putting secondary glazing in at the moment. He wants to see if new deals and cavity wall insulation do anything or if I just will get used too it. He's not even keen on getting some curtains to put up which is something I desperately want to do and think might help even if it's just psychological.

To be fair, we only moved in Monday and he's been at work the past 2 days and I'm back at work tomorrow so maybe we will sort a few bits out at the weekend.

I'm just finding it very hard to settle. Luckily the bedroom is at the back of the house so it doesn't disturb sleep

Well don't really understand how cavity wall insulation will reduce the noise, I doubt it very much.

Thing to remember is you probably are going through a very stressful time moving anyways and the noise is somewhat fixated in your mind. Try to forget about it, and believe me in a years time you will look back and laugh.

To be honest the real noise that could probably irritate you will be from neighbours but you are lucky you are in a house as living underneath someone else in a flat, especially kids up above bouncing on youre ceiling can be a nightmare..lol

or the barking dogs.

You will be fine, relax, put on music or the tv, don't be listening for the noise, will only make it ten times worse.

Good luck.
    :)
    martin57
  • MoneySMonkey
    Options
    Hi. I have just joined and have a very similar issue to Bex2247. My partner and I bought a house last year and didn't notice the road noise until we moved in. We have a Bay (walk in) window and a smaller side window in the lounge and 2 normal style windows upstairs in the front bedrooms. When cars pass its like there are no windows there at all as we can hear everything as clear as day - We were always told to come in the evening when initially viewing the property when it is a lot quieter. They are UPVC windows but we only noticed once we bought the house that most, including these 2, are external beaded. I'm guessing that means they are the really cheap versions that were just put in to improve the look of the property. Our budget is limited so I'd like to know what kind of windows are the best for noise reduction and where to get them from. We really want to change them as external beading isn't really safe. I have read a few messages on this site so far and some argue triple glazing is best and then others seem to suggest double glazing with differing thickness's of glass are better. Please could anyone help?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure