Driving a SORN vehicle.

Options
dil1976
dil1976 Posts: 484 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
My van currently had a SORN, but is in the garage having some major works (another story) Now I have somewhere to store it, and am also having a MOT done while its in the garage.

I know you can drive a vehicle to and from a MOT if its not currently got one. Can I drive the vehicle to where I am going to store it with a SORN as it will have had a MOT done in the garage?

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Since you're MOTing it, I presume you'll be using it? In which case, wait until tomorrow and tax it from the 1st Feb.
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    dil1976 wrote: »
    I know you can drive a vehicle to and from a MOT if its not currently got one. Can I drive the vehicle to where I am going to store it with a SORN as it will have had a MOT done in the garage?

Yes, you're allowed to drive your SORN'd vehicle away from the MOT test station legally and return it to another location. As long as it's still stored off-road, you can keep the SORN in place.
  • Rambosmum
    Rambosmum Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes, you're allowed to drive your SORN'd vehicle away from the MOT test station legally and return it to another location. As long as it's still stored off-road, you can keep the SORN in place.

^^^^^ this. When I collected my car from the ferry at Dover the DVLA said I could legally drive it my home without tax (even though that's 400miles) as I was delivering it but then wouldn't be able to drive it again until I taxed it.
  • Spicy_McHaggis
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Since you're MOTing it, I presume you'll be using it? In which case, wait until tomorrow and tax it from the 1st Feb.

Why tomorrow?
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Two working days before the end of the month is the earliest you can buy a tax disc starting the next month, for a car that's currently SORNed.

So if I tax a SORNed car today, it'd start 1st Jan.
    If I tax it tomorrow, I can choose for it to start 1st Jan or 1st Feb.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Two working days before the end of the month is the earliest you can buy a tax disc starting the next month, for a car that's currently SORNed.

Tax disc?? What's that?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • AdrianC
    Options
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    Tax disc?? What's that?
    <grin> Old habits die hard.
  • Spicy_McHaggis
    Options

But he can't then use it until 1st Feb if he opts for that date.
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Options
    Rambosmum wrote: »
    ^^^^^ this. When I collected my car from the ferry at Dover the DVLA said I could legally drive it my home without tax (even though that's 400miles) as I was delivering it but then wouldn't be able to drive it again until I taxed it.

I am not doubting for one minute you were told this but I think I would need some kind of written confirmation off them. They have been known (as well as other organisations) to give out the wring info depending on the person you speak to. I mean, how is that different from buying a car from a dealer and having to tax it BEFORE driving it away?
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
  • dil1976
    dil1976 Posts: 484 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for the advice.

I know it wont pass the MOT, I will also be selling it shortly so have no inclination to tax it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure