60 Cyclists To Sue Edinburgh Council

Options

Comments

• Altarf
    Altarf Posts: 2,916 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    Drivers are so stupid that they follow their sat-nats and drive into canals! The only solution is to ban drivers from roads and make them drive in a desert where there's nothing they can drive into.

But drivers don't sue the council for their stupidity when they drive into a canal.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Altarf wrote: »
    But drivers don't sue the council for their stupidity when they drive into a canal.

No, but they do when their cars get damaged by potholes. I don't know why they insist on using vehicles that are clearly unfit for purpose on the roads.
  • brat
    brat Posts: 2,533 Forumite
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    No, but they do when their cars get damaged by potholes. I don't know why they insist on using vehicles that are clearly unfit for purpose on the roads.
    Why don't they just drive at a suitable speed to allow them to avoid any unforeseen hazard. That's exactly the same accusation that's being thrown at cyclists.;)

Having had a look at the Edinburgh situation a little more closely, I'm pretty sure the ultimate plan is to significantly reduce traffic volumes through Princes Street, which has to be good for everyone.
    Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    brat wrote: »
    Thanks for pointing that out to me, because it certainly wasn't obvious on the video.

What is obvious is the warning sign for tram tracks, which would make me wonder how I was to avoid them, because they appear to be closing down my lane. If I was wishing to turn right ahead, (as appeared to be the case with this cyclist because he was changing) lane, I would be wondering how best to do it. If I was unfamiliar with the road layout I wouldn't be expected to notice the diddy arrow on the road 100 metres ahead, especially as the cycle lane had disappeared.

I'd like to think I'd avoid the dangers of tackling the tracks too narrowly, but I'd do it by bossing the lane rather than using my crystal ball to realise they want me to cycle through a lay-by 100 metres ahead.

Just scoot down that cycling lane (note the choice of surface)

11451031313_59c41ed706_n.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wingpig/11272820345/in/photostream/

oh and nice easy access too. just look how far that taxi queue goes

740352829.jpg
  • brat
    Options
    Tilt wrote: »
    Lol... some cyclists ignore red lights, no entry signs and pedestrian zone restrictions... so what chance have you got enforcing any ban?
    ...as do many car drivers, who also commit many other offences. Is there any chance you could lay your prejudices to one side for the moment and concentrate on topic?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Clearly buses should also be banned from tram tracks...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-28978931
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Times have changed. I think this photo was taken of Princes St in the fifties.
    Edinburghshire,+Edinburgh,+Princes+Street+and+Gardens+1955.jpg

A tram system such as this would be much safer for cyclists than the current version, especially as cyclists are now being encouraged to cycle over the top of them at a narrow angle as in the vid I posted in my last post.

Great pic, can almost see my place of work in the old town :)
  • brat
    Options
    Surely if you were unfamiliar with the layout, then you wouldn't be cycling at an inappropriate speed for the conditions.

That is what caused the accident, the cyclist heading into a situation on a wet road far too fast for them to navigate it sensibly.
    A slower speed can often cause more problems. You need sufficient speed, an adequate angle and a good grip of your handlebars.

The part of the lane available to cyclists in this situation closes down ridiculously before there is any indication that there is an escape route - an escape route which looks to be impossible to use much of the time, and is an impractical option if you wish to be turning right ahead.

I can't imagine many regular cycle commuters using that lay by to avoid the tram lines - the risks, especially in the wet would probably be greater than taking on the tram lines.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    But if the cyclists are still permitted to cycle on the parts of the road the trams use, they will do, and will still suffer injuries.

The problem still exists, and you have now made it more dangerous for cyclists using the adjoining roads due to the higher traffic density.

Having lived through the construction of the trams for what ~6 years...

Massive changes i.e. only half was built, endless delays due to mistakes in laying the tracks wrong the first time. Resulting in Princess Street being ripped up again then being thrown back together as fast as possible to meet both political deadlines and also events line Christmas markets and new year parties.

What has happed to our city centre and Leith Walk etc is criminal.

The whole lot is still unfinished...

And this is the cyclists fault because........?
  • Tilt
    Tilt Posts: 3,599 Forumite
    Options
    ...as do many car drivers, who also commit many other offences. Is there any chance you could lay your prejudices to one side for the moment and concentrate on topic?

Err car drivers aren't getting hurt by the tram tracks thus aren't the ones that Altarf is suggesting banning.
    PLEASE NOTE
    My advice should be used as guidance only. You should always obtain face to face professional advice before taking any action.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure