🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Three Feel at Home on PAYG

Options
visidigi
visidigi Posts: 6,448 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
We're off to the US for two weeks soon and in researching local sims I've tried to figure out what the rules are on the Three FAH option - from what I can gather the sim is free, and I can add an add-on for £10 or £15, the latter giving all you can eat data.

Is that all there is to it? obviously the add on is a one off 30 day package, but as long as I do it a week before we go all should be good right?

The 300 minutes and 3000 texts can be used within the US and back to the UK right?#

We're going to be in Cali, anyone know how good the required network for FAH is?

Is it really only £15 cost to do all this? It seems crazy cheap!

I was going to use my old 4s iPhone but I might even put it in the 6 if allt he above works out to be (to good) true.

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,633 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    visidigi wrote: »
    We're off to the US for two weeks soon and in researching local sims I've tried to figure out what the rules are on the Three FAH option - from what I can gather the sim is free, and I can add an add-on for £10 or £15, the latter giving all you can eat data.

Is that all there is to it? obviously the add on is a one off 30 day package, but as long as I do it a week before we go all should be good right?

The 300 minutes and 3000 texts can be used within the US and back to the UK right?#

We're going to be in Cali, anyone know how good the required network for FAH is?

Is it really only £15 cost to do all this? It seems crazy cheap!

I was going to use my old 4s iPhone but I might even put it in the 6 if allt he above works out to be (to good) true.

The U.S. networks are pretty good coverage wise, but you'll find data quite slow, don't expect speeds that will support streaming.

Regarding calls, it's the calls that would be free in the UK, so calls back to the UK (actually calls to UK numbers) are inclusive but calls to US numbers aren't, they would cost 15.6p per minute.

Details at:
    http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Mobile_roaming?content_aid=1214306357859
    ====
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,872 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Almost right.

The 300 min and texts are only usable when calling/texting back to the UK.
    If you want to call US numbers you either have to add more funds (as they are chargeable), use a redirect UK number to call them, or use Skype (other apps are available).

I've used it over there twice so far. It takes quite a few minutes for the phone to find the US network, but after that it work really well.
    The only problem I had was on the last trip where the guy I was traveling with became ill and we had to come home early. I had a lot of a calling to do and after 2 hours AT&T cut me off for 3 hours! I guess they don't like roamers using too much of their bandwidth!
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So basically for £20 I get a full use of the phone for two weeks and the rest of the family can call us as needed. We need the data for general web surfing etc while out on the road (we'll be driving a fair bit) and to use for restaurant recommendations etc.

Unbelievable value!

Thanks both.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,105 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I found AT&T to be very congested with slow data, dropped calls and sometimes even refusal to register.

T-Mobile always worked fine.
    Jon_01 wrote: »
    I had a lot of a calling to do and after 2 hours AT&T cut me off for 3 hours! I guess they don't like roamers using too much of their bandwidth!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport