Heating systems

Options
Hello
Im thinking of changing my heating in my cottage
At the moment i have them horrible storage heaters
cause we have no gas in the area.
Can any body advise me on which would be the best
way to go oil ,heat pumps or electric boilers.

cheers

Comments

• tberry6686
    tberry6686 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You would need to supply more info as there are so many possibilities.

Storage heaters are fine when correctly fitted and used. Check that out first.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Electric boilers should be immediately ruled out.

Oil at present prices is by far the cheapest fuel - not much more expensive than gas. How long will it stay that way??

Air to Water Heat pumps are very expensive to fit and need a suitable property.

Air to air heat pumps are cheaper and might suit.
  • Robwiz
    Robwiz Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    Night storage heaters, if operated correctly, cost about the same as gas central heating in fuel and less in ongoing servicing/repair – there are no moving parts to wear out and fail. Having Economy 7 is a benefit if you run everything you can on the cheap rate.

Perhaps do a search here first on getting the best from your night storage heaters?

I can recommend air to air heat pumps as a viable option. We have installed two – they are very effective and not expensive to run or install (compared to oil or ashp wet systems).

Have you done all you can to insulate and eliminate draughts and leaks? It makes a big difference.
  • captainhindsight_2
    Options
    I think you need to look at either a heat pump or biomass. the best thing you can do is get a local company out who installs both heat pumps and biomass and ask if they can give you some predicted capital costs, rhi income and fuel savings. This will give you enough information to help you make an informed decision. It is difficult to recommend on things like this with out seeing the house, as one person may say this is the best because I have it in my house but it may not be suitable for your house and an alternative may be the best option.

If you find a good company you will find they will be able to recommend the best solution for you by working with the facts.
    "talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish" - Euripides
  • Smiley_Dan
    Options
    How long do you intend to live in the property and what do you want to optimise for - financial savings or carbon savings?
  • snowscreamer
    Options
    We have oil central hearing. I would recommend it, you get all the advantages of central heatin and it isn't much more hassle than gas. You just have to keep an eye on your oil level and remember to order more when you are running low.
    Cleared my credit card debt of £7123.58 in a year using YNAB! Debt free date 04/12/2015.
    Enjoying sending hundreds of pounds a month to savings rather than debt repayment!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure