cheaepest 1st insurance £800!!!

Options
Deals_2
Deals_2 Posts: 2,410 Forumite
my partner's daughter has been quoted after trying a few companies including moneysupermarket.co.uk £800 for a 1st insurance - even on an old banger. I wonder if there is anything cheaper around. Otherwise we are thinking of doing a car share where we will add her on our insurance ( i dont have a car at the moment). will this affect her at a later stage? thanks in advance.

Comments

• b0rk
    b0rk Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    800 ish for a 17/18 year old female sounds in the right sort of range tbh.
    The quote for male would be truly frightening.
    Young drivers male or female are high risk for insurers so expect the premium to be highly loaded on even a 1.0l supermini sized car, anything more and it is usually silly money.

As a named driver she won't be building a no claims discount under her own name. Direct line (who take into account named drivers for NCB later) IIRC load premiums taken out on new policies where a named driver is under 21 as if the named driver is/was the main driver when the main driver has no NCB themselves.
    You can expect any "car sharing" premiums where a young driver is added to be highly loaded if you have no NCB.
    If the majority of the driving will be done by her then really the insurance should be in her name. Anything else strictly speaking is insurance fraud.
  • scbk
    scbk Posts: 1,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If the car aint worth much just go for TPO, no point in anything more.

Oh and there's "pay as you go" insurance aswell, not sure how this works out ££ wise and personally it's not something I'd like to use...
  • lynn44
    lynn44 Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My son 20 just passed his test in april, purchased seat ibiza R reg £1500.... Insurance was fully comp £1400 I told him he was mad paying that,But I searched too for him could not find it cheaper ANYWHERE....Well 3 weeks later he wraps it round a telegraph pole, So lost not only his car (write off) has to pay £750 excess and still owes £1000 in insurance premiums, so He has lost a lot of money. I am so glad I did not put him on my insurance I have just earnt my 4 yrs NCB...Phew.
    I would love to be a Travel Agent :j
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Going through the same "search the net" excercise at the moment, for my son, 18, 1.0 litre Corsa prices ranging from £1049-£4,000+. Cheapest found so far £1049 TPF&T from ecarinsurance.co.uk includes £40 from Quidco, to £1609 FC from the Pru, inc £100 from quidco.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Deals wrote: »
    my partner's daughter has been quoted after trying a few companies including moneysupermarket.co.uk £800 for a 1st insurance - even on an old banger. I wonder if there is anything cheaper around. Otherwise we are thinking of doing a car share where we will add her on our insurance ( i dont have a car at the moment). will this affect her at a later stage? thanks in advance.

Remember, its not just the value of your car its the possible value of the car you hit and write off that governs premiums.

This premium looks about right to me. If you possibly can try and insure in her name and build up some NCD. Then, if she doesn't claim, by the time she's 21 she will be able to insure a more 'interesting' car. It worked for me.
  • epz_2
    epz_2 Posts: 1,859 Forumite
    Options
    if it helps it aint just being young that gets you robbed. i passed my test at 27 having ridden bikes for 4 years including a 1litre 140bhp death machine !!1} but was getting quoted £2700 to the cheapest of £700 all third party.

now i admit an old 2 litre merc 190e isnt your standard corsa newbie car but not that outrageous and buttons to fix if dinged. i could have probably got my 1st year down to £500 if i drove a 1 litre micra but that would have meant i needed to drive the thing grr.

generally the 1st few years is when you pay through the nose cause they need to work out how much a liability you are, my renewal was only £400.

!!1} a TL1000S for those who know, respect my awsome stupidity.
  • hjd
    hjd Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My daughter is 17, on a provisional licence, and she is insured on her own car (Ka) - which cost about £535 for the year. She is the main driver (and thus hopefully builds up NCB), and it was the same premium when we added us on as named drivers.
    Company is quinn direct. We live in Surrey, so not the cheapest or most expensive area.
    You need to go to quinn direct itself as it is not on the usual comparison sites. I think the comparison sites are pretty useless with the new drivers.
  • rdwarr
    rdwarr Posts: 6,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    It's worth doing it properly now for long-term NCB benefits. My 22 year old daughter recently got fully comp insurance on a Ford Cougar X 2.5 V6 Auto for under £400 because she'd been insured in her own name since she was 17 (in a Clio).
    Can I help?
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    rdwarr wrote: »
    It's worth doing it properly now for long-term NCB benefits. My 22 year old daughter recently got fully comp insurance on a Ford Cougar X 2.5 V6 Auto for under £400 because she'd been insured in her own name since she was 17 (in a Clio).

Nice to have a current example of what I did 30 years ago.:D
  • Deals_2
    Deals_2 Posts: 2,410 Forumite
    Options
    who is now 22 do you remember how much she paid initially for her insurance at 17? thanks in advance.otherwise will try quinn insurance today as we based in surrey anyway. thanks for that tip!
    rdwarr wrote: »
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure