Best smokeless?

Options
With a cold weekend forecast I am wondering if there is a particular one that performs the best or are they much the same. I currently have the Home fires smokeless from Asda which I use in with my multifuel wood burner if I am going out. The coals are larger than the Taybrite I have used in the past, not sure if that makes any difference?

Comments

• alleycat`
    alleycat` Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My view, and it is just my view, is that once they are going they are all much of a muchness (with the exception of anthracite).

I find homefire better than taybrite in terms of lighting but the heat output isn't much different.
  • emilyjade
    Options
    Thanks alleycat.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've experimented quite widely but you have to bear in mind that every stove and every installation is different, so it's hard to be definitive. That said, I've settled on Newflame as giving the best value for money. Maxibrite is also good, but the individual 'coals' are quite small - good if your stove prefers a smaller size, but not necessary in most cases.

Be very cautious with anthracite, as alleycat suggests! It can vary hugely from one batch to another.
  • Greenfires
    Options
    Badger makes a good point. I wouldn't touch the stuff myself, but have plenty of customers who use it. Some have moved from one brand to another and said their stoves have been transformed as if by magic. But there's no one name that keeps coming up. A good fuel for one appliance may not be anywhere near as good for another.

If you have a local coal merchant then it may be an idea to have a go with a number of types and see what does best for you.
  • emilyjade
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. We have the Charnwood C5 so tend to use the smokeless if we are popping out to keep it ticking over. We have just put some on now to get the temperature up as we lit it late today.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure