Dfs Won't Mend My Broken Recliner - Help

Please help. I bought a two seater recliner in Dec 04 - with manual reclining mechanism. This broke in April 2006 and with their two year warranty came out and fixed it. It is now July 2007 and it has broken again. I telephoned DFS and said this is not acceptable workmanship for it to break twice is so little time - we have not got children and do not abuse the sofa at all. They said just get an independant upholsterer to mend it - that will cost a fortune. It is only a small wire and the end bit snaps off.

Does anyone know where I could get the small wire or what it's technical name is?

Or does the Sales of Goods Act 1975 cover this - because surely it is not fit for the purpose it was sold - i.e. 'A reclining chair' because it no longer reclines and am I right to believe that this lasts for 7 years from the date of purchase.

Please help - I am furious with DFS - as I am still blooming paying for it for the next 16 months too!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you :mad:
Food and Smellies Shop target £50 pw - managed average of £49 per week in 2013 down to £38.90 per week in 2016

Replies

• HitchHitch Forumite
    215 Posts
    Not familiar with these mechanisms, but is sounds like a steel cable? with something on the end?

Any chance of a pic? Probably something very simple could me made to work.
  • Thanks Hitch - I will up-end the sofa tomorrow and have a look - but yes - all it is - is a steel cable - and at each end is a round thicker bit - that slots in the hole in the sofa mechanism - and it is this bit that has 'fallen off/snapped off' twice.
    Food and Smellies Shop target £50 pw - managed average of £49 per week in 2013 down to £38.90 per week in 2016
  • HitchHitch Forumite
    215 Posts
    Not sure exactly how it fits in, but BnQ have a half sensible range of clips and things that may be of use.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Christmas lights running cost

We've crunched the numbers

MSE Guides

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals