O2 - leaving country so don't want upgrade - how to negotiate a better monthly rate?

Options
Apologies if this has been covered already on this board.

I signed up with O2 (via CarPhone Warehouse) for an iPhone 5 on a 24 month contract back in January 2013 on a monthly rate of £38.15.

That comes to an end today (or tomorrow) and I've had continual phone calls from an O2 rep trying to get me to upgrade.

The problem - as I told him - is that we are moving out of the UK (to Europe) in 6-8 months so an upgrade is not of interest.

The salesman went into a new spiel that I was paying too much on the current rate (which is probably true now the phone has been paid for). He wanted to sign me up immediately there and then for a new rate but I said that I wanted to decide in peace rather than react to aggressive marketing. Plus I was eating my tea and didn't want to listen any more. :D

The question is, what's the best strategy now? Obviously I could ring the retention unit but not sure how I should play this.

To summarise:
  • I don't want a new phone
  • I don't want a new 24/18/12 month contract
  • I don't plan to change my mind
  • I do however want to keep using the iPhone in the UK for another 8-10 months, but towards the end of this year I will relocate to another European country and will cancel the contract.

Any advice would be appreciated! :wave:

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family